14 | δεκατέσσερα

14 | δεκατέσσερα

▂▂▂▂☓▂▂▂▂

WE WERE STOOD in front of a large dungeon-like door with Persephone chanting an incantation, hand hovering above the doorknob.

It had been a hell of a long night that I would not have gotten through without Ares. More than once I felt myself jolting up, forehead covered in cold sweat. The nightmares wouldn't leave me alone. Being dragged down into Tartarus wouldn't leave me alone, the voices wouldn't leave me alone. I was going mad, wracking my brain trying to understand this all but it was only getting harder. If Ares wasn't there to reassure me that he'd always be there, he heard the voices too and that he cared for me too much to lose me, I probably would have tied a noose around my neck.

Eris was finally awake, though she looked different now. Her hair was straight and black, falling down her back towards her butt, while her skin was darker, almost as dark as Persephone. She was gorgeous, and even though she had decided sporting a new looking was her next step, I knew exactly who she was when she waltzed through the door.

She chose to stay in the Dark Palace with Hades.

We travelled underground, though I wasn't aware that the underground itself had an underground of its own, but you learn something new everyday. We travelled through tunnels until finally reaching this gaping, wooden door in the middle of nowhere.

There was a foreign inscription written on the very top of the door, and if I wasn't so close I probably would have missed it.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, instantly regretting how I had chosen to learn French after high-school instead of Ancient Greek.

Εισάγετε εκείνους που αναζητούν την αλήθεια

Tugging at Ares' shoulder, I turned to him for an answer. "What does it say?" I asked the ginger curiously.

Ares' eyes quickly skimmed through the passage, his eyes lighting up in understanding. "It says, enter those who seek the truth." He answered, golden irises meeting mine. I nodded, understanding that we had actually reached the lair of the legendary Fates.

Persephone finally completed her incantation, the door sliding open in front of us. Apollo seemed unsure, but he was the first one to enter with Persephone besides him and Ares and I followed suit.

"Stay close to me." Ares whispered, grabbing onto my hand for safe keeping. His touch immediately made me feel safe, warm and that I couldn't possibly get hurt.

The room was dark, and just like Hades' mansion, gloomy. There was nothing in sight and I was sure that there was no light either.

I started to consider that maybe Persephone had taken us to the wrong place, but when my eyes feasted on three elderly women, all covered in glowing white hoods sat in weird looking stools, surrounding some kind of blanket, fabric perhaps while they all sewed at each end.

One of them, I assumed this was Atropos, was holding a giant mechanism I could only assume was used for cutting towards a very short thread on a spindle before cutting it. The thread, which was glowing a silver colour was now slowly turning black as she threw it to the side.