04 | τέσσερα

04 | τέσσερα

▂▂▂▂𓂅▂▂▂▂

I TOSSED AND turned for the hundredth time that night, struggling to fall asleep with all the new information I had just absorbed. The next day, we would strategize on how to win this war of the gods, and even though I tried to hide behind this facade of bravery, I was shaking with fear. I was a mere mortal trapped in this realm of a higher power than me and so the chances of me coming out alive were slim to none.

I finally gave up on trying to rest, as Ares said I should do and got up out of bed. Maybe I'd explore the palace. It was strange how there were no buildings for miles, no sign of civilization whatsoever.

I traipsed down the spiral staircase into darkness, familiarizing myself with the environment. I was in yet another dark hallway and my eyes darted around, wondering where I had gotten myself lost. I doubted that I could ever even really find my bedroom from here anymore.

Unsure of where the hell I was or where the hell I was going, I treaded forward.

My eyebrows furrowed up in confusion when I noticed a single bright light protruding from underneath one of the doors of the rooms. The light was so bright, it lit up the entire hallway, and I had to squint my eyes and cover my face with the palm of my hand so as not to go blind.

I wanted to walk past the strange room, skip and hop to the next dark hallway but curiosity got the better of me.

I ambled towards the door, breath hitching as I pulled the door open. My mind reeled from my actions, I didn't know what was behind that door, but I was starting to regret opening it.

I peeked into the room, eyes still squinted tightly as I stepped in making sure to keep the door open in case I needed to run.

I had always thought that my incurable curiosity and need to put myself into situations that didn't even involve me would cost me my life, and that thought crossed my mind the second I walked into that room, endangering myself tremendously.

With what I could see through squinted eyes, the walls were made of solid gold, all six of them including the ceiling and floor were golden, but the source of the blinding light wasn't the room itself but rather what was in the room.

The floor was cold against my exposed toes, but that was the least of my worries as my eyes feasted on a familiar looking entity, just floating about in the middle of the room, blinding me with its brightness.

A lightning bolt. Large, bright and perfectly horrifying. The electricity pulsing through the complex mechanism seemed deadly in itself.

Despite obvious reasons to step away from the bolt, I found myself walking towards it, completely drawn to the light it emitted. Like a moth to a flame, I had lost all control of my body as I stepped towards it, against the demands of my subconscious my legs treaded forward. Maybe if I could... if I could simply just touch it...

I drew nearer and nearer until I was merely a centimeter away from touching the ancient item.

I reached my hand out towards it, just a single touch was all I needed and then I'd be on my way. A single touch.

My finger barely grazed the object when a strong force like a wind, a tornado perhaps, shoved me across the room. A loud screech crawled out of my mouth and into the open as my eyes widened in shock. It pushed me back further from the device until I was floating in the air, back harshly pressed against the golden wall of the room, head barely touching the ground. I was upside down.