00 | πρόλογος

▂▂▂▂ πρόλογος ▂▂▂▂

ARES LEANED AGAINST the golden railing of the deific castle overlooking the blessed city of Thrace.

In the distance, he could hear the furious footsteps of his sister, drawing nearer and nearer until his bedroom doors were jerked open.

With the roll of his golden irises, he whirled himself around so that he was looking right into his sister's deep brown eyes. "Eris. How lovely it is for you to barge into my bedroom once again," he drawled sarcastically. "What is it this time?" He groaned, shutting the door leading to the terrace as he strolled back into the confines of his room, conjuring a glass of whiskey in his hand before he sat on his bed.

Eris was not in a jesting mood and instead of humouring her brother, she sat next to him, an unhappy frown plastered over her sun-kissed face.

"So it is true, then," She grabbed her brother's whiskey glass out of his hand, greedily downing the contents of the glass finished.

"The mortal is of age." She finished off, slumping backwards into the bed.

Ares said nothing, instead conjuring himself yet another glass of whiskey.

His features hardened at the mention of Ariel as he sipped his drink leisurely, "she turns twenty-one tomorrow."

He felt a sense of unease just thinking about her. The wait was finally over.  Centuries had passed, kingdoms had fallen and even bloodlines had been wiped clean but now it was finally his turn.

The siblings sat in a deafening silence, both of them evaluating the unfortunate situation they were in.

"Ares, I beg you to reconsider... to wage war against the Olympians – our very own elders and siblings, it's –"

Eris' words were interrupted when her brother's whiskey glass was crushed in his hands, the shattered glass shards plummeting onto the ground.

His jaw clenched.

Eris noticed the glass shards had cut him up badly, the golden ichor dyeing his large hands as he pursed his lips deep in thought.

She blinked and the blood was gone. He had healed himself.

He hadn't realised it yet, but his powers had expanded... just as the prophecy foretold.

"Don't you think I know that?" Ares' golden-brown irises were slowly turning crimson, his brows furrowed irritably. A crease began to form on the piece of skin between his two dark eyebrows.

It was another five minutes before anybody said a word.

"The prophecy must be fulfilled. The Fates have foreseen it and it will soon come to pass." Ares raked his hands over his perfectly tousled locks, making a mess out of them.

"Zeus and the Olympians are out of control." He uttered his father's name with disdain, it burned like acid against his tongue.

"Ariel is my fated love and she will soon be of age. The war between us has already begun."

"This is madness. You think that girl – that mortal girl – will help you fight Zeus? The Olympians? That's suicide." Eris countered, brows hiking up in sheer disbelief.

It felt as though all the intestines in her mortal body stomach had knotted together and that it would take a pair of scissors to fix it.

A scorned chortle echoed throughout the entire room. It was Ares. His chuckle was far beyond humorous and bordered the lines of petrifying. "You seem to have forgotten that I am the god of war, Eris." He smirked at his sister, a smirk that did not quite reach his now again golden irises.

"You have had my allegiance since the dawn of time. War and Chaos go hand in hand, always. I will fight until my last dying breath... but I fear I must warn you that there is one underlying problem in your plan. The lightning bolt. Zeus will not hesitate to use his greatest weapon to torment you when word gets out." Eris reasoned, pacing around the large elegantly decorated bedroom, a teardrop chandelier hanging above her head like a prison sentence.

"So," Ares eased back, his eyes clouded in thoughtfulness. He kicked his feet up confidently, even though confidence was the very furthest emotion from what he was actually feeling at that moment.

"We put out the lightning bolt."