33 | τριάντα τρία

33 | τριάντα τρία

▃▃▃▃▃☇▃▃▃▃▃

THREE YEARS. You've been gone for three years and that's the best you can come up with?" Milo pushed back his curly brown hair as his deep chocolate eyes glared into my soul.

It was apparently summer break, and luckily for me both Gayle and Milo were back from college to visit their families.

Gayle was right next to him, thick lips pursed into a thin line. "I'm disappointed. No unicorns?" She asked after I had spent two whole hours explaining the enthralling tale of where I had been all this time.

It was a flight-risk, telling them the whole truth but I trusted them. They were my friends, and they deserved to know the whole truth.

"So, you don't believe me?" I asked and they both exchanged a glance before focusing their glares back on me.

"Would you believe you?" They asked and I slouched back into my chair, taking in a mouthful of fries.

"Look, we know you've always loved reading your little story books about Cupid and all that jazz – "

"That's Roman mythology." I corrected.

"Whatever, same shit different toilet. But you can't expect us to believe that you were whisked away into some great adventure with your supposed 'fated love' for three years." Gayle explained, showcasing her perfect pearly whites. She had gotten her braces out, and she was glowing radiant, a beauty that could rival even Aphrodite.

"Shh! Keep it down, I don't want the locals to hear all this... you can't tell anybody – promise me you won't tell anybody!" I hissed, motioning for her to lower her voice as the both of them watched me with a sort of worry plastered on their faces.

"We won't tell anybody. We were never planning on telling anybody because that sort of talk'll land you a year in a straitjacket and padded room down at Ivy Grove." Milo was talking about the town mental hospital and I was getting frustrated at how they refused to believe me.

"You guys are my best friends. You're supposed to believe me no matter how crazy I sound!" I shrieked, patience wearing thin.

"Do you hear yourself right now? Yeah, Ariel. We were your best friends until you disappeared one night without so much as a warning or even a good bye! Do you know how many times we came by, hoping that by some work of God, you would have returned? Do you know how many search parties we sent out with your parents? The least you could do is tell us where you really were!"

I groaned, facepalming. "I just told you where I really was." I tried to steady my breathing as I got up from the table, placing a dollar down for the fries.

"Fine, don't believe me? I can show you." I said before whirling around and making my way out of the diner. I stopped at the door, glancing back at my two best friends. "Coming?"

We were all standing in Milo's backyard, the sun burning its harsh ultraviolet rays on us as if punishing us for something.

Milo had his hand covering his face from the sunlight, while Gayle was basking in it like some kind of sun goddess.

We both glared at her. She shrugged. "What? It's summer break, I need a tan." She explained.