Prologue

"Lilly, no!"

Severus Snaps falls to his knees beside the crumpled body of his childhood friend and crush the moment he entered the tattered remains of the nursery. Cradling her limp form in his arms, he felt his normally strong blocks on his emotions shatter like sugar glass. She couldn't be gone, this just wasn't possible.

He was one of the first Order members to volunteer to check up on the Potters when he had overheard talks of a possible attack on the young family from other Death Eaters. He had been acting as a double agent for a couple of years now and had provided some very valuable and viable information to Dumbledore in the past; he was hoping that, just this once, his insight would prove to be false.

Fate can be awfully cruel sometimes.

"Severus?"

He could hear someone calling his name from the hall but he couldn't bear to lift his face from her hair to answer.

"Son," the voice was now standing behind him and a hand was placed on his shoulder. "She's gone. I'm sorry."

The hand gently tugged his bent over form into a sitting position, in which he finally found his focus falling on Dumbledore, who knelt down beside him. "I was so hoping the gossip was wrong." Snape winced at his hoarsed voice as he studied the face of the only man he concidered as a genuine father figure. "I know she wasn't my mate, but she accepted my secret and supported me as much as she could. And what did I do to pay her back?" He asked retoricly as he looked back down at her head in his lap, brushing red hair from her unseeing eyes. "I called her that disgusting name and wasn't there to protect her when she needed me the most."

Dumbledore sighed beside him and squeezed his shoulder in sympathy. "I know you are hurting Severus, and I am sure you will hurt for a while. But the past happened whether we liked it or not. We must accept our wrongdoings and make our futures that much brighter."

-----

A week had passed since the bodies of Lilly and James Potter and the surprised survival of their son, Harry, were found. That had led to the discovery of the vanquishment of the Dark Lord and the need to hide Harry with his Muggle family members in order to shelter him from Death Eaters seeking revenge for their fallen Lord.

But no matter how hard he tried, Severus could not revel in the good news of the falling of Voldemort because of his loss of Lilly. His chest felt hollow and his head was full of fog, making him unable to do anything, think of anything, other then the loss of his friend.

He had met Lilly at his childhood home at Spinner's End, when he had unknowingly stumbled onto the Evans property one day after a fairly tense scene at his home. His father was a drunk, a unruly one at that, and had chased him out of the house with a broken beer bottle and the promise of a beating if he ever tried to interfere with his parent's 'discussions' again. He had just been trying to make his father stop hitting his mum.

He and Lilly's friendship continued from there and into their schooling at Hogwarts, holding through even when a certain band of Gryffindor's tried to force them apart. And when he found out that the creature inheritance from his grandfather had jumped over his mother and affected him, Lilly stood by his side, helping convince Madem Pomffery to allow limited access of her emergency blood stores to the newly formed vampire and alternated with Dumbledore as lookout when Severus had to hunt for rabbits and other woodland creatures in the Forbidden Forest.

But her help and support could not fully overshadow the grief he felt when he realized that she, nor any other inhabitant at Hogwarts, were his mate. Vampires, much like other creature inheritances, had a predestined mate, in which they were the only person the creature could truly be happy with. Yes, they can have physical relationships with others before meeting their mates, but they would always feel incomplete until they met that person.