Chapter 27 - Let Sleeping Mates Lie

"I'm assuming it's safe for me to enter?"

Hermione smirked at her father's voice and craned her neck back so she could see his upside down form behind the couch. "What did you do, duck and cover from the scary vampire?"

Severus snorted and crossed the room to sit in the chair across from her. "I was merely securing my protection from the consequences of separating a creature from it's mate."

"Uh huh, admit it: you were scared of me." She teased.

"I am able to face the Dark Lord and lie to him outright without pause. He is able to inflict more damage on me than you do. So, therefore, you do not scare me."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Always so dramatic."

"Nonsence."

A grunt and movement from her lap interrupted her response and drew her eyes reflexively. Still fast asleep but evidently unhappy with their bantering, Draco had flipped himself over to bury his face into her robe-clad belly.

Severus raised an eyebrow and indicated the sight before him with a nod, "how did this come to be?"

"I'm not entirely sure." Hermione answered, her fingers caressing the hair on the back of his skull without her knowledge. "My memories of when my vampire was in charge is a bit fuzzy, but she some how got him to calm down, and when I came to, this is what greeted me."

Severus nodded in understanding. "My vampire has only been fully in control a hand full of times, for it is risky for me to lose so much control in my current position." He crossed his legs and steepled his hands over the top knee. "In one instance, after returning from a three day raid in which I was unable to feed, He took over as I passed the Forbidden Forest. I awoke an unknown amount of time later completely drenched in blood and surrounded by multiple carcasses of rabbits and other animals, including a deer. My memory of that time was also unclear, like you discribe."

Hermione gasped, "Merlin!"

"Indeed."

A moment of silence passed before Severus broke it. "I suggest you wake him so that we may discuss this new predicament we find ourselves in."

His daughter's eyes widened in concern and her body hunched over as if to protect the boy from him. "But he needs his rest. He was so upset earlier."

Severus sighed, 'so protective' he thought to himself. "I understand that." He said in a calm but firm voice, "but we need to discuss his state of mortality and the conditions included sooner then later. You'll have to bite him again today and he needs to know the importance of that."

Hermione huffed, "I suppose your right."

"Naturally."

After sending her father an eyeroll, Hermione leaned foward closer to her mate and rubbed a thumb against his cheek. "Draco? Is time to wake up."

A drowsy grumble was her response, but after giving his sholder a gentle shake, Draco reluctantly rolled on his back and opened his eyes. His grey-eyed glance was glassy with sleep and a drowsy-drunk smile crossed his face. But after a few blinks, the fog cleared his eyes and a look of confusion slowly took over. "G-Granger?"

"Hi Draco." Hermione said a bit nervously. Her vampire wanted to greet him with a kiss, but she hesitated. She so wanted to follow Her lead, but her mind, her memories, told her that what they had here was wrong. For six years she dispised the boy on her lap's guts due to his selfish, racist, and bigotry behavior. Could they really put aside all their bad blood and function as a successful and happy mated pair?

And even if she could forgive him, could he put aside his prejudice beliefs and see her for who she really is?

"What's going on?" Draco's eyebrows furrowed and he sat up slowly from her lap. He rolled his neck, seemingly to release a kink from his sleeping position but gasped in pain as his hand came up to grasp the healing bite on his neck. "So wait...its real? I wasn't dreaming?"

"No Draco, it's real." She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"But that makes you a...then you...and I'm..."

"You will cease your idiotic mumblings immediately."

"Uncle Sev?!" Draco was now fully sitting up and he scrambled to the other side of the couch away from Hermione. He hadn't noticed his godfather sitting across from them. "What's going on?!?"

With a frustrated sigh and an eyeroll, Severus eyed the boy and answered. "You already know what's going on. Hermione is my daughter and we are both vampires. You are her mate and she bit you to claim you as such. Now, if you would like to sit there and listen like the respectful and level headed Malfoy you claim to be, we will proceed with explaining more important matters."

Draco looked at his godfather in shock for a beat before sighing himself. Hermione noticed his face paling as he straightened out his posture, blanked his expression and lowered his eyes in respect to the elder man. "You're right, uncle, I apologise. I paniced, but Malfoy's are not supposed to panic."

Hermione blinked and found herself a bit surprised by his change of demeanor. It seemed that as soon as his family name was mentioned, the boy became formidable and polite, almost in a royalistic fashion. 'A little too prim and proper for my taste.' She mused to herself, 'though, it's better then him panicking.'

"That's better." Snape grunted.

"Sir, may I ask a question?" Draco made eye contact with the elder man, and Severus could see a sliver of fear still residing in the boys eyes.

Though he was a bit irritated at being interrupted, Severus nodded curtly, permitting the question.

"Uncle, if you are saying that Granger, being a vampire, bit me and marked me, does that..." the boy swallowed and focused on the floor, "does that make me a vampire too?"