Chapter 1: Happy Birthday

Sixteen years later
September 18th

"Finally, classes are done for the week! The weekend can officially start!" Ron was the first of their group of friends to reach the table in the Great Hall and barely sat down before he started pouring pumpkin juice for himself.

"Slow down, mate!" Harry laughed as he sat beside the redhead and grabbed for a cup of his own. "The weekend isn't going to come faster no matter how quickly you eat dinner."

"Sure it will! The faster I eat, the sooner I can go to bed. The sooner I fall asleep the sooner it will become Saturday!" Ron shouted as he grabbed a chicken leg off the platter before him. "Then in the morning we go to Hogesmeade!"

Hermione rolled her eyes as she sat across from her best friends. "That's not exactly how days work, Ronald."

"Sure it does."

"Mhmm." Hermione rolled her eyes again. "Plus, tomorrow isn't just Hogsmeade Day."

"No?" Ron asked around a dinner roll.

"No, you goof. " Harry smiled at Hermione as they watched confusion paint itself over their friend's face. "It's 'Mione's birthday!"

"Yeah, my sixteenth birthday! That makes me an adult in the Wizarding World!"

"Well, gosh, happy early birthday then!"

Hermione chuckled. "Thanks Ron."

"I don't mean to overhear..." Ginny scooted down the bench from where she was sitting to sit closer to Hermione, "but did I hear it's your birthday tomorrow? That means we should start celebrating tonight!"

Hermione turned to Ginny with wide eyes "Oh, I don't know, Gin, I'm not a big partier..."

"Oi 'Mione, we must party!" Seamus interjected from the other side of Ron. "I've smuggled in some bottles of butterbeers in my trunk from home. We can play games and stay up all night!"

"Yeah, let's do it!"
"Yeah, 'Mione, loosen up a bit!"

"All right, all right." Hermione threw her hands up in a surrender pose. "We can party tonight if you all promise me we will study for our Potions test tomorrow after Hogsmeade."

"Deal!"

----

"Ok Harry, truth or dare?" Seamus asked, an evil sparkle filling his eyes.

"Uh, dare?"

"Oh, that's not a good idea." Hermione laughed as Seamus smirked and stroked his invisible beard. "Seamus is pretty brutal with his dares."

"Oh, then truth."

"Nope! You already said dare!" Everyone laughed as Harry went a bit pale.

"I dare you to...change shirts with Ginny!" Everyone gasped as Seamus practally began rolling on the floor laughing.

"What!? No!" Harry's jaw dropped. "She's wearing a crop top!"

"Yeah!" Ginny agreed. "He'll streach it out!"

"A dare's a dare."

"Fine!" Ginny sighed and held her hand out to Harry. "Give me your shirt. I'll go change in my dorm and bring you out mine."

"Ugh, I hate you Seamus." Harry huffed as he stripped his shirt off and handed it to Ginny. Ron and Seamus teased him by wolf calling at the sight of his bare chest. "Shut up, you."

The game went on for two more turns before Ginny came back wearing Harry's oversized maroon t-shirt. Hermione held back a grin when she saw Harry blush a bit when he saw the girl in his clothing.

"Here, Harry, your turn." Ginny handed the boy her baby blue crop top and everyone laughed watching him struggle into the small shirt. Ginny was fairly small to begin with, and combine that with the intentional smaller cut of the shirt, Harry barely had fabric to cover his pecs and the sleeves were bunched up at his shoulders.

"Wow, Harry, you've never looked better." Hermione giggled along with the rest of the group. She was a bit surprised how much fun she was having, especially for being someone who wasn't normally interested in group games.

"Ok Ron, your turn."

"Wait!" Ginny interrupted as she casted a quick tempus. "It's five minutes 'til midnight! We need a toast!"

Seamus passed out new bottles of butterbeers to the group as Ginny stood up and and lifted her bottle. "To Hermione, one of the most loyal and smartest people I've ever had the privilege to meet. I hope this year is a fun and happy one for you. Happy birthday 'Mione!"

"Hear hear!" Everyone cheered as they tipped their bottles toward to clink with the others before taking a swig.

Hermione brought her bottle to her lips, but before she was able to take a drink, a shot of hot pain filled her chest, causing her to gasp and drop her bottle, which fell to the floor and shattered. She screamed out in pain as she doubled over and grabbed her chest then her head as the pain traveled up her neck and into her skull.

Gasps and shrieks passed through the group of friends as they all scrambled towards Hermione; bottles of butterbeer were dropped to the floor in panic.

"Hermione! Are you ok?"
"What's going on?"
"Are you in pain?"

"Yes." Hermione croaked, swaying on her feet, "pain....everywhere...make it..." then she collapsed into Harry's arms, who had just barely grabbed her waist as she fell.

"'Mione!" He called, bringing her down to rest on the floor and began to shake her shoulders. "Wake up!"

"Rennervate!" Seamus pointed his wand at her chest, but nothing happened. "Why isn't she waking up!?!"

"Guys!" Ginny shouted to get the boys' attention. "She doesn't have a pulse!"

"Ron! Send a patronus to Madam Pomffery and Dumbledore, tell them what happened. I'm taking her to the hospital wing." Harry stood up and picked up the limp Hermione bridal style and raced out the portrait hole.

"Hold in there, Hermione. Please don't die on us. We need you."