Chapter 24: Uncle Sev, The Vampire

Draco woke up to the sight of black velvet that he instantly recognised as the back his Godfather's couch from the multiple times he would come sit on said couch over the last six years.

But why was he sleeping on Uncle Sev's couch instead in is own room or even the Slytherin common room?

Draco began to roll over when a sudden burning sensation and stiffness in his neck haulted him. Gasping out in pain, he reached his hand up to inspect his throat; his face scrunched up in confusion when he felt the skin under his left jaw bone was bumpy with scabs and tender and warm to the touch. 

"Good morning."

Draco dropped his hand and craned his neck gingerly to see his uncle sitting across from him in a matching wingback chair. He was sitting back with one leg resting on the other's knee and his arms were draped over the armrests and he was holding a glass of what appeared to be red wine in one hand.

"Good morning..." Draco mumbled, his voice sounding a bit hoarse. "What am I doing here Uncle Sev? And what happened to my neck?"

Severus sighed and sat up in his chair, setting asside his glass on the coffee table. The man looked stressed, which surprised Draco, who knew better then most that Severus only showed his emotions to others if the situation was dire enough. 

"Draco...what do you remember of last night?"

"I came up to your room to talk to you about something, but you were gone, so I sat in the hall to wait." Draco answered, his eyebrows creasing in concentration, "Granger walked by and we began to bicker... I don't remember much after that."

Severus nodded. "I figured as much." He looked straight into his godson's eyes before he continued. "Draco, what is said and done in this room is to remain a secret. If this information falls into the wrong hands, it could cost all three of us our lives."

"All three of us?"

"You, me, and Hermione."

"Since when is it 'Hermione'?"

"Since..." Severus paused, wiping his palms on his knees. "Since I found out she's my daughter."

"SHE'S WHAT?!" Draco yelped, jumping up from his laying position on the couch, forgetting his injured neck until he was fully sitting up. He gasped in pain and grabbed the inflicted area, but held shocked eyes towards Snape.

"You heard me." Severus grumbled, not being one that enjoys repeating himself.

"No, I don't think I did. Because it sounded an awful lot like you said the Mud-"

"Don't call her that!"

"Fine, that Granger is your daughter."

"So your ears do work." The elder man rolled his eyes. "May I explain without your infuriating  interruptions?"

"Please do."

Another eye roll. "Granger is not a Muggleborn. She was adopted when she was an infant and never told of her genetics. She's the product of myself and a witch that I refuse to discuss at the current moment." He shot a glare towards Draco, as if daring the boy to press the subject further. When he received silence in response, he continued.

"I was made aware of her existence when she was born, but I was forbidden to be in contact with the child or know of her identity until her sixteenth birthday. Miss Granger turned sixteen this last September and it was then when we were both made aware of our relation."

Severus paused to take a drink of his 'wine'. It was the first moment Draco felt it safe to comment. "But, sir, what does this have to do with me? And why would I be in danger if this became public?"

"Because, Draco, academic success and a temper isn't the only qualities Hermione inherited from me." He sat the glass back on the table. "She also inherited my creature blood. We're vampires, Draco."

"You're...but..." Draco's face paled and his jaw fell. "I've known you my whole life; you're not a vampire!"

"I can assure you, I am." Severus opened his mouth and bared his teeth, allowing his fangs to elongate before closing his mouth, his top lip smoothing as his human canines returned. "I just hide it well."

Draco yelped in fear, pushing himself farther into the couch and drawing his knees to his chest.

"That's enough histarics." Severus snapped. "As you said, I've known you your entire life. Wouldn't you think I would have attacked you already if I wanted to? No, I've never attacked a human; I feed off animals and donations from St. Mungo's. And before you insult me with the question, yes, the headmaster is aware of both my and Hermione's condition and no, the Dark Lord has not been informed, nor will he ever be, if I have any say in it."

Draco seemed to be calmed by the new information, for he lowered his legs to the floor and studied his shoes with his eyes. "I'm sorry for doubting you sir, I was just startled."

"I half expected it."

"So, are you saying that..." Draco looked up at him as the fingers of his left hand came up to brush against the torn skin of his neck. "Granger bit me?"

Severus sighed. "Yes. We have been practicing living amongst humans without such action, but the smell of one's mate is hard to ignore and act rational around for such a young vampire."

"So Granger's not perfect in everything she studies." Malfoy chuckled before freezing once the end of the sentance dawned on him. "Wait, mate!?"

"Yes, mate. Vampires have one  predestined mate in their lifetime, and you just happen to be Hermione's."

Severus witnessed his godson's face drain with blood for the second time that morning. 'He's going to pass out if he doesn't stop doing that.' He mused.

"Draco, listen to me." He waited until the paniced grey eyes met his black ones. "Vampires are very protective of their mates; therefore, she will not harm you. On the contrary, she will do whatever it takes to keep you safe.

"That being said, you know enough for the moment for us to continue. I've had to bar Hermione in her room in order for you to regain consciousness and for us to have this conversation in private. She is being driven solely by her vampire insticts rather then her human instincts. Her vampire is insisting that she needs to be with you in order to assure you're safety. Once she determines that you're safe, she will slowly return to her human senses."

Severus stood up, downed the rest of his drink, then banished the glass back to the kitchen. He began crossing the room towards his bedroom.

"Wait! You're just going to leave me here with a psychotic vampire? Where are you going?"

"I must leave the room, for she will be upset that I denied her access to you. Plus, as I said, you will be safe. Actually, you couldn't be in a safer place then in a sealed room with your vampiric mate."

"But..!"

"It's imperitive, however, that you remain calm. Don't fight against her, for it will delay her return to normal. Try to ignore your previous strifes with her; she's not going to remember them in her current state. She's acting on very basic animalistic insticts with no recollection of her human memories. You two can discuss those differences once she is of stable mind. Understand?"

"I..." Severus could see the boy struggling with himself  before sighing in defeat. "Yes, Uncle, I understand."

"Good. When she returns to her human self, have her retrieve me. We will discuss future plans from there."

Draco nodded numbly, then watched his uncle quickly cancel the wards on the other bedroom door before retreding to his.

Draco had roughly a minute to reposition himself on couch before said door was forcefully slammed against the neighboring wall, destroying the door jam in the process.

A red eyed, brown haired vampire angerly hissed and scanned the room for the soul who dared to bind her before she locked onto the sight of a scared blonde human sitting on the couch in front of her. Simultaneously, she caught wift of her favorite smell in the air coming to her like waves generated by said blonde.

At that moment, her vampire rejoiced.

"Mate!"