Chapter 25: Fear and Comfort

Draco Malfoy had never been a big fan of magical creatures. And it wasn't just because he was raised to look down on all other magical beings that were not Pureblood wizards.

No. It's because they are fucking scary.

Since he was a young boy, Draco had been skittish with magical creatures, or really any animals more complex or bigger then the peacocks that flocked the gardens of Malfoy Manor. Their unpridictability and jumpy nature made him anxious, and their often sharp claws and teeth could do some serious damage to his skin and hair. That wasn't even taking into account those that could breath fire or poison him with a single bite.

No. It could be safe to say that Draco Malfoy did not do magical creatures.

And what were the worst magical creatures according to him? The humanoids: centaurs, mermaids, werewolves, vampires, veela... Anything that kinda looked like a human, but were not. Not only do they stray too close to the uncanny valley for Draco's taste, but they were often very dangerous, maybe even some of the more dangerous creatures one could face.

And to think that his own Godfather was one of those creatures... the thought itself pumped fear into Draco's very bones. Though his heart wanted to trust and believe Uncle Severus in the fact that he would never, and had never, hurt a human due to his vampirism, the fact that the man had ample time over Draco's entire life to attack him if he wanted to refused to leave his mind.

And then there is the subject of Hermione Granger, or rather, Hermione Snape he guessed; that whole situation utterly confused him. When had Uncle Severus ever shown interest in a woman long enough to produce offspring?

He had known the Granger - Snape - girl since his first year at Hogwarts. She had been a frizzy hair know-it-all from the start with her ever present Hogwarts: A History book and spouting facts to anyone in hearing distance about everything and anything magical. He quickly developed a dislike for her; how dare she pretend to know more about his world than him when she had no magical blood in her body? So what if he found her button nose cute or her chocolate brown eyes alluring? That gave the Mudblood no excuse to think she was better than him!

Smarter than him!

Happier then him...!

With her loyal friends and loving family...

And then this year, her hair didn't seem so frizzy anymore. It look shiny and smooth...but she was still a know-it-all!

And a vampire...

The sound of a door being smashed into a cement wall and being tore off it's hinges brought Draco abruptly back to the present and the reason why he had been thinking about his hate of magical creatures in the first place.

Standing in the once boarded doorway stood the brown haired, red eyed vampire he once knew as Hermione Granger. Her Gryffindor uniform was wrinkled and disheveled, her skin deathly pale, and her teeth bared and angry. She looked around the room with the jerky movements of a predator listening for danger as she growled and spat. Then she drew her eyes to the couch and a spotted the cowering blond boy perched there.

Draco about lost his shit.

But as Granger looked at him, the fury once filling her eyes slowly went away. And after a deep smell of the air, her gaze became one of relief and excitement.

"Mate!" The vampiress shouted before crossing the room at an inhuman speed and began climbing the couch on the opposite side of him.

A petrified Draco Malfoy had no choice but to remain still as the brunette crossed the cushions over to him. What else was he supposed to do? He could run, but she already proven on multiple occasions that she could move faster then Draco could no matter the level of adrenaline in his system. And what would happen to him if him running made her angry? He knew Uncle Sev said that she would never hurt him, but this was from someone who left the room in fear of his own safety.

And what was it Snape said about him remaining calm? That it would return Granger to her human mind?

Draco decided that he would rather have the bushy haired know-it-all any day rather then the growling and fang-bearing monster sharing the couch with him. And he would do anything in his power to make that happen.

Those were the thoughts swimming in his mind as he remained sitting on Severus Snape's velvet couch, with his back against the arm rest, knees drawn up to his chest and held by his crossed arms, with a vampire crawling closer to him like a leopard stalking it's prey in the grass: slow and cautious, readying herself for a chase.

As her hands reached the cushion he sat on, Draco found himself holding his breath and trying to fight back the trembling in his limbs. Then, to his suprise, Granger stopped, sniffed the air like a dog, and tilted her head in confusion. Could she smell his fear?

Then her eyes flicker up to meet his. Bright, ruby orbs meet his grey ones and what he found there utterly confused him. She held confusion in her own gaze, but he also found...concern? Sympathy? But absolutely no anger at all. Draco actually found himself becoming fascinated by her eyes: they wearn't demonic red pupils like The Dark Lord's. No, these were shiny and almost translucent, like jewels. He felt mesmorised by them, like he was being hypnotized without actual compulsion. He was hardly aware that he had let out his breath and dropped his arms from his knees.

A movement in his periphery broke the spell that was her gaze and he looked over to see Granger lifting a hand up to his cheek. He couldn't hold back his gasp as her cold skin met his in a gentle caress. Though it was cold, her skin felt soft as her thumb grazed his cheekbone and her fingers brushed his chin.

"Gr-Granger..." He was struggling to hold any thoughts in his mind; it was as if he was being swallowed by a sea of fog and her touches were the only thing keeping him from drowning.

"Hush now, don't be scared. I've got you, Mate." Her sweet, meledic voice brushed against his ears.

Her calm demeanor seemed bizarre to him, as was his body's reactions to her. Something inside him was finding her actions soothing, almost like it recognised her immediately as something non-theatening and comforting. His muscles began to relax and his thoughts quieted, giving way to the rush of calm flowing over him like waves.

His eyes fell shut as he felt a hand on his other cheek and a pair of lips on his forehead. Her kiss was soft and tickled his skin like butterfly wings. Another sigh fell from his lips and he offered no resistance as she led him gently into her arms, pulling him from his knees and guiding him to rest his torso on her thighs as she sat back on the couch. His head came to rest on her lap once she settled into a normal sitting position on the couch; Draco was now laying on his stomach, using her legs as a pillow, his face facing away from her. She started running her fingers through his hair, drawing out a low moan from the Slytherin.

Draco Malfoy's fear, anger, confusion, or any other conscious thought fell away as he allowed himself to be coddled by his vampiric mate. His ears barely registered her whispers of praise as his conscious left and he fell into the deepest, most relaxing sleep he ever endured.