Chapter 23: A Show of Dominance

Severus Snape was sitting in the staff room, listening to Filch drone on and on about catching students using products developed by the Weasley Twins in the hallways, especially the use of candies that caused the unsuspecting victim to upchuck uncontrollably. This, understandably, caused extra work for the caretaker and hall monitor. But did the man really need to spend twenty minutes on the subject, describing in detail the exact science of cleaning such mess? Severus didn't think so.

He was just about to question the headmaster on this very subject when he was silently startled by the burst of ice cold sensation coming from the black and red ring on his finger.

Standing from his seat, he calmly walked over to the sitting Headmaster. "Albus," he whispered into the man's ear, "I must take my leave, Hermione needs me."

"Of course, my boy. Off you go."

---

Severus wasn't exactly sure where Hermione was calling him to, but due to the time of day, his first instinct was to try their shared quarters. 'But what could she need my help for?' He wondered, 'this is the first time she has used her necklace to summon me.' He swallowed the uncharacteristic concern he was developing. 'I'm sure she's overreacting.'

When he rounded the hallway that lead to his quarters, however, he couldn't fight the concern that filled his insides when he saw his daughter pinning his godson up against the wall and nuzzling her nose against his throat.

"Hermione?" He asked, coming to a stop cautionly about ten feet away from them.

Draco's eyes shot up to meet his gaze; the poor boy looked terrified. And Severus could see why after calling Hermione's name again, causing the girl to turn her head towards him in flustration. He instantly noticed her ruby red eyes and elongated canines.

----

Mate. Mate is upset. Why is mate upset?

She could feel him struggle against her body, trying to wiggle out from where she was shielding him with hers up against the wall. Her feet were shoulder length apart and her hips and torso held him flush against the wall. His human strength was nothing compared to her heightened one; she held him in place solidly, but gentle.

Why would mate want to leave? Didn't he know there was nowhere safer then in her embrace?

"Shhh, mate, you're safe." She ran a hand gently through his hair. Oh, how soft it is! She began kissing his neck, dragging her fangs across his unbroken skin. She couldn't help lifting her head to smell his carotid pulse. Oh, so sweet, so mesmerizing.

"Gr..Granger, please let me go." Mate said, his throat trembling under her mouth.

"No, mate. I've got you. Don't be sad." She licked his thumping pulse. Oh, how she would love to taste his blood...

"Hermione?"

How dare someone interupt their moment? Are they a threat to mate?

She whipped her head around and was now able to see and smell the intruder: an older vampire clad in black. "Get back!" She growled. "My mate!"

----

"Get back! My mate!"

Severus froze, staring at his daughter, who was clearly in full vampiric mode with no trace of a human mindset at all. She had Draco pinned against the wall in a protective stance, shielding his entire body with hers. Vampires are very territorial creatures, especially when it comes to their mate. Groups of coupled vampires could live comfortably with each other, as long as they were all aware that the others mates were off limits. This was usually established by a show of dominance towards their mate in front of other vampires, making it very clear that the mate was taken.

This can't be good.

"My mate!" Hermione growled again, baring her fangs at Severus.

"I know, I wont touch him." Severus spoke in a soothing matter, holding out his bare hands in a sign of innocence. "You can let him go now. You're scaring him."

"No, you scare him! He's mine!"

"Yes, I know." He took a step back from the couple, unsure of what to do. He needed to get her out of the hallway, where anyone could pass by and spot the very obvious vampire. Plus, more people would cause Hermione to become more territorial, especially if she thought they posed as a threat to Draco.

"You can let go of him, Hermione. There are no threats here."

The female vampire in front of him seemed to be thinking about this, for her stance relaxed a bit and she had stopped growling. Her red eyes scanned the hall and, once she deemed it safe, began backing away from the boy. Draco sagged a bit against the wall, but his fear willed him to stay put.

"Very good." Severus sighed in relief, slowly lowering his hands and taking a step closer. "Let's go inside and relax for a bit, shall we?"

It appeared that Hermione would cooperate and lead Draco across the hall, but Severus failed to see that her eyes remained red before attempting to pass them to open the door.

"MINE!" Hermione shouted at him before shooting forwards and burying her fangs into Draco's neck.

The sounds of his godson's scream echoed off the walls and assaulted Severus's ears like a train whistle. Paniced mercury eyes sought out shocked black ones as Severus scrambled for his wand.

"Stupify!" He shot towards the hunched form of his daughter. Her body froze and fell back onto the floor. Severus rushed forward to catch Draco's collapsing body as it was released from it's upheld position before it could follow the momentum of his fallen mate. His body landed in his outstretched hands like a wet noodle. The boy was beyond exhausted.

He layed the boy on his living room couch and levitated his stunned daughter to her bedroom bed. He closed his living quarter's door and warded the place tight.

As he sat down at his desk, waiting for Hermione to recover naturally from the hex and for Draco to wake up from his temporary unconsciousness, he layed his head in his hands. Now what was he going to do? How was he going to juggle with both his duties for the headmaster and the Dark Lord with a hormonal teenage vampiric daughter and her stubborn and hardheaded mate to keep an eye on? What was he going to do if the word got out?

And what would Lucius think? He is bound to hear about this.

'Blasted vampiric instincts. They are always getting in the way.'