Chapter 16: Brace Yourself

Hermione stood in front of the back of her bedroom door on the morning of her first day back to school. The wooden surface was temporarily spelled to act as a full length mirror, which she used to adjust her tie and smooth out the wrinkles in her Gryffindor robes. She was not one to normally fuss over the state of her clothing, bit it had been almost five months since she'd worn them last, so she thought it would be a good idea to give the fabric an extra looking over.

She found it a bit tricky to conclude exactly how prepared she looked for the day since she couldn't actually see herself in the mirror, just her clothing, so she had to trust her sense of touch to assure her that her hair was presentable enough for the public eye.

She left the mirror with a shrug and crossed the room to her desk, where she picked up her beaded bag that she packed the night before with her potions book and writing utensils off her chair and slung it over her shoulder.

To any outsider, she looked fully prepared to face a day full of classes and social interaction, but on the inside, she wasn't so sure. Don't get her wrong, of course she was excited to be rejoining her classmates and friends even if it was only for the two-hour potions class. She would be able to see Harry and Ron, return to learning with others in a classroom, not to mention leaving the cramped living quarters she'd been sequestered in for months. But not even her Gryffindor courage could fully squash the fear in her belly she had about being in close contact with humans. Sure, she passed the 'test' with Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall yesterday, but that had only been two people, not fifteen! Would she be able to control her vampire around her classmates?

Hermione finally exited her bedroom and saw the other source of her worries sitting on the couch in his usual way: leaning back with one leg resting on the knee of the other, casually drinking from his cup of morning blood, leaving a cup for her on the table in front of him. She had a feeling since First Year that Severus Snape was involved in the war somehow, it had just been a mystery whether or not that involvement was malicious or not. He seemed to always have a hidden agenda or a secret of some sort and his actions were often unpredictable. He could be an outright bully one moment then be saving you from a warewolf in the next. At least that made a bit more sense to Hermione now; he was loyal enough to the light to want to protect her, Harry and Ron, but had to keep up pretenses in order to look like he was loyal to Voldemort. Granted, his git-ness wasn't fully a ruse, living with the man for five months had proved to her that most of that was his actual personality and a shell he build around himself to cover his self loathing and confidence issues from his childhood and adolescent times, though she didn't know the specifics of said trauma. But she had also learned over this time that underneath all that was a caring and protective man who really cared for her, though he seemed reluctant to show it.

Above everything, was beyond thankful that he was on the same side of the war as she was. It would break her heart if she had to betray him in any way.

Hermione greeted her father as she grabbed her glass and sat on the couch beside him. A slightly awkward silence hung between them as neither one knew whether or not to approach their conversation from the night before.

Severus decided to break the silence first, clearing his throat and shifting in his seat and placing both feet on the floor. "Are you prepared for class today?"

"Have I ever not been prepared for class?" She smiled at him over her glass.

"I'm not referring to merely school supplies." His pointed look held that all to familiar hidden concern.

"I know. I'm a bit nervous, but I think I'm ready."

"I wouldn't permit this if you weren't ready." He replied, "but its imperitive that you remain calm and aware of your actions at all times. The smallest lapse in focus can prove fatal."

"Constant vigilance, I know."

"Good."

When they were both prepared for class, teacher and student met at the front door to their quarters. Severus looked down at his daughter and noticed that she was fiddling with her fingerless gloves while studying her shoes.

"Hermione." He waited until she lifted her head to meet his eyes. "You will be just fine."

She nodded. "I know."

"Then let's go." He turned to open the door but was stopped by a gentle hand on his arm. "Yes?" He asked his know-it-all.

"Thank you, Severus, for everything." The look in her eyes told him she wasn't just referring to the last five months.

"Don't mention it." He shot her a thin smile before replacing it with his ever-present mask, "We must go."

"Then lead the way, Oh Great Father." Hermione smirked, gesturing towards the door in a mockingly formal way with a bow and a hand flick.

Severus rolled his eyes, "Of course, anything for the mighty Gryffindor Princess."

"Damn straight."

"Watch your language."

"Sorry, sir."