42. Engagement

Abhimanyu: Com'on guys, there's still two days for engagement. We can see each other.

Abhimanyu whined making them all laugh and shout a no in return. Okay, there was this rule where the bride and groom could not see each other after engagement until their marriage. Abhimanyu just found out about it before sometime. He didn't even get time to prepare and suddenly there was a line in between the hall, dividing two sides.

Now, Mukti was on the other side with Fab5 and he was here, on the other with his friends.

Mukti: Abhi is right, this is too much.

Manik: It is not. It is the rules!

Abhimanyu rolled his eyes.

Abhimanyu: So you know what rules mean? Com'on!

Nandini: Bhai!

Abhimanyu turned to her and she gestured to him to bend down. He did, with his ear near her mouth.

Nandini: I will help you sneak to the other side, don't worry -

Manik: Don't even think of sneaking in here!

Nandini stopped with wide eyes and stared at him. How did he know? The others standing behind her laughed because they knew her enough to know what her plan must be.

Abhimanyu shook his head in dismay.

Abhimanyu: I will see you when you need my help, Manik.

Manik's smirk faltered and he looked at Nandini and then at him. This time, it was Abhimanyu who looked so smug.

Manik: Fine, as long as we don't see it, we will pretend it didn't happen.

He shrugged the embarrassment that crept over him when everyone except Nandini laughed out loud.

____

Veebha was not someone who would sit silent and let others insult her. She was fuming in both anger and jealousy. She did not know what was between Manik and Nandini but she knew they had a history where they both liked each other.

Mr.Khurana: I can't believe you can't even make a man fall for you, Veebha!

Veebha: I can! If not for that Nandini. Manik does even look at me when she is in the room!

Mr.Khurana: Then try more! Dress nicely! Approach him somehow. Veebha, we need this wedding. Once we associate with Malhotra's, Niyonika will control Manik and we will be rich. Just think.

Veebha: What rich, dad!? Nothing is happening. That Niyonika Malhotra talked so big! Manik doesn't even respect her!

Mr.Khurana shook his head in return. He couldn't believe his luck. He had such a good chance but his daughter would not make use of it.

Mr.Khurana: You are useless!

He snapped at her and left.

____

Two days later, on the day the engagement was to happen - the Malhotra Mansion was all in chaos. There were so many guests invited that Manik wondered what his mother actually wanted.

How little did he mean for her to show him off this way? Was it so important for her to control him? Did she think she could do it because they had the land on him? He almost laughed at the sheer audacity. God knows if the marriage did happen, Manik would take the ownership of the land and divorce Veebha.

Cabir: Manik - What are you doing here?

Oh right. Manik was at the terrace, away from everyone else. He still had to get ready.