THREE

"What crawled up your ass and died?"

I get tapped twice on my arm by my lab partner - who's been getting the cold shoulder - to get my attention. Not many people would speak to me so abrasively. But then again Vincent has a reputation just as bad as mine.

"Nothing," I respond dryly and continue to balance the equation before me. "Do your own work."

"I need help."

"Then ask the teacher."

"You're the less condescending out of the options," I place my pen down and snatch his booklet from him to see what question he's stuck on. "I can't tell how it's endo or exothermic."

"Endothermic absorbs heat and has a positive calculation result - exothermic releases heat, consequently having negative." I hand it back after a brief explanation.

"So that would mean it's exothermic?"

"Yes. When we do the experiment and you touch the test tube you'll be able to feel the manganese heating with hydrochloric acid," He nods, running his tongue over his lip while scribbling the answer down. "Make sure you turn up tomorrow."

"If I don't?"

Vincent taunts and flashes me an arrogant smirk. I glare with annoyance, enough to melt the smirk away. Out of everyone in the class I chose him to be my partner so I wouldn't get sexist remarks.

Most of the guys are smart - you have to be to do AP Chemistry - and take one look at me, assume I'm an airhead then treat me as such. When realistically I could kick their ass in any pop quiz without studying. Chemistry is my solace and the one subject that comes easy to me, plus I find it fascinating.

Both play a part in me outranking everyone in the class much to my teacher's displeasure. No other girl picked to do this course which left me fighting for every mark and point in this classroom.

"Relax," he dismisses with a wave of his hand. "I won't do that to you."

"It doesn't mean I appreciate the jokes."

"Are you on your period or something?" I stare blankly at him and hear snickers behind our bench. He looks over his shoulder, making them cower with a look before settling on me. "You look like you want to kill me."

"You're getting on my nerves more than usual."

"I think you need to loosen up a little," Vincent lowers his voice to keep the conversation to just our bench rather than the whole room. "When was the last time you had sex?"

I stare at him, unblinking as if he's joking or trying to taunt me. Except he's completely serious. Vincent isn't particularly a close friend yet he isn't an enemy either. He's just there and sometimes - moments like this - it's sincere.

"Why the hell would you ask me that?"

"Well a sexual release sometimes is the best way to relax. I know you're doing four AP classes and that's stressful," I shake my head slowly and return my attention to the equation before me. "There's a party this weekend being held by a mate of mine. I'd be your wingman if you want to hook up with a guy there, keep you away from the braggers and clingers."