TWENTY-TWO

"So the plan is simple," Vincent recites, crouching down in front of the lock while I hold a flashlight over it

"So the plan is simple," Vincent recites, crouching down in front of the lock while I hold a flashlight over it. "See what we can find and get the fuck out as quickly as possible."

Leaning against the door frame I stare emotionlessly at the lock when it clicks open with a twist of the doorknob. The house is silent and void of any company which is exactly what I was expecting. I stare inside for a moment, knowing that once I step inside I'll be breaking the law.

"You know this is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done." I think out loud.

Faye's betrayal is something I can't let go of. I might have been able to after some petty comment or making her suffer during a cardio training session. But she took Sam's advice.

So now, she is the target of my aggression two-fold because the idea of getting even with him makes me sick.

"Well actually I can think of something else," Vincent hints at the obvious mistake. I shoot him a dry look as he gets to his feet and steps inside the house, crooking his finger at me. "Come on, we don't have long before she gets back."

Pushing away the doubt I slip inside, shining the light on the carpeted staircase and feeling like I might throw up. While blackmail and manipulation isn't a first, getting the information via committing a crime is a first. Oddly enough, Vincent seems completely okay violating someone's privacy.

Clearly, not a first for him.

We go upstairs, not worrying about the creaking because the only person who lives here besides Faye is her mother who works as a nurse. It was pure luck that she left the house and her mom was on the night shift.

Opening the first door, I stumble into her mother's room which is a mess of clothes and rubbish. Behind me I hear Vincent make a 'ding, ding' noise as he finds her room but I find myself walking over to the desk covered in paper.

I scan the papers with the light and see several bills, all overdue with scribbles on blank paper from a budget. It's not a secret to me that Faye comes from a single-parent family, a struggling one at that. Payback financial wise would be futile.

Crouching down I open the bottom drawer and find it empty. Normally people hide things in the bottom drawer opposed to the top. I run my fingers over the wood, tracing the sides to check for a false compartment and stop when I feel the smallest of dips.

"What are you doing?" Vincent asks, I glance back to see him reading what would be her journal.

I roll my eyes, preparing to wedge the flashlight between my teeth. "What are you looking for in her diary?"

Successfully opening the false bottom I pick up one of the small matchboxes that fill up the majority of the drawer. I shake it, expecting to hear the solid click and feel of matches but it's barely there. Furrowing my eyebrows I push one side out and drop the torch without thinking.