SEVEN

The last thing I was expecting was a partnered in-class project - for a class where I don't have any friends that I could work with

The last thing I was expecting was a partnered in-class project - for a class where I don't have any friends that I could work with. Normally it wouldn't bother me, except an acquaintance is sitting in the back row who has been trying to text me since yesterday afternoon.

After he spent the baking flirting shamelessly back with Phoebe. I have no right to be jealous. Yet I can't help the unpleasant feeling that's hollowed my stomach at the memory and left a scowl on my lips.

I didn't appreciate him being so obvious about it.

But that's not my problem at the moment. Picking a partner that isn't him is the goal and I can feel eyes on me as the teaching describes our writing task.

"-quite simple. However this needs to be a consistent project meaning each partner needs to contribute an equal amount," Mrs. Albury caps her whiteboard marker as she finishes drawing up a sketch of the table we're meant to use. "Once filled in, you should be able to write a sufficient analysis of the book. You have the remainder of the lesson to complete the task, get started."

I feel my phone buzzes and subtly I pull it from the pocket of my skirt. English is the one class where my phone isn't put on airplane mode so I can concentrate. Mainly because I don't have any friends in this class so it doesn't hurt to text on occasion to feel less lonely.

From Slytherin

Be nice

To Slytherin

Why would I do that?

"What do you say about being partners?" I tilted my phone away instinctively, peering at Nina who bounces on her toes as if she's about to jump.

"Why?"

"Because you don't have any friends in this class," she states it so bluntly I don't know how to respond. Nina brushes it off and shrugs her shoulders. "Plus I thought it would be good to be with less of an English nerd than usual."

When she thumbs over her shoulder I flick my eyes back to see Sam watching our interaction. She turns and mockingly waves which causes him to look away to greet his partner. Nina turns back, missing his worried look that she could be torn to shreds by me.

"English nerd?"

"As far as I know your specialty is science which means you're unlikely to correct me for using the wrong word or incorrectly placing the verb," She shakes her head and dumps her bag onto the desk beside me. "So partners?"

"You are capable of writing a sentence right?" I ask, gauging what kind of person she is.

"I'm capable of writing songs, what do you think?" She throws back.