EIGHT

"At least they made the effort to package them

"At least they made the effort to package them."

I frown at Phoebe who's tying her shoelaces on one of the metal chairs. The smell of chlorine is overwhelming and I can feel my palms sweating when I glance at the pool water. At the moment it's still from inactivity but the swimmers are sitting in the grandstand.

Swim events are held during first periods where students have a choice to attend a study hall, fitness class or watch the meet. Generally the grandstand is filled with students and parents, not necessarily from our school but the competing one.

It's why the cheerleaders are normally scattered in the crowd to encourage support, as well as handing out flyers at the front of the doors. Or in this case just inside selling baked goods.

I rearrange the packaging accumulated in the baskets, placing the better ones on the table for display. "Little do they know I'm keeping track and plan to make the ones who didn't make the effort to run an extra two laps."

"Ouch," She whistles lowly and pivots back around to readjust her own two baskets. "So we're doing fitness?"

"I alternate between each week. So fitness this week is running laps - stick to the inner lanes and you have to do a minimum of four. Then it's just normal exercising; planks, sit-ups, pushups - you get the drift."

"These look delicious," I do a double take when I see Vincent standing beside Coach Rafter. She smiles and gestures beside her. "This is Vincent. He'll be taking some photos for today, I need you and Faye for a captains shoot - are the girls here?"

"Everyone's here."

"Great. I'll go get Faye and the captains for the swim team, follow Vincent over to the wall would you?" Coach Rafter sets out for the grandstand.

I nod and address Phoebe. "Send a message to the group chat to tell everyone to come inside."

Phoebe pulls out her phone from her bra while I round the table. I step on the outer of Vincent to avoid walking closer to the water. He notices this and chuckles, adjusting his grip on a camera in his hand.

"Scared of the water?" He teases.

More than you could ever know.

"I just don't feel like swimming," I respond and give him a look. "Not that I don't trust you or anything."

"Nah. I wouldn't be that slack to you, not when I get a nice view in that uniform."

I slap his shoulder and spin to face him with my back against the tile. "I didn't know you did yearbook."

"It was either become the school photographer or be suspended and I didn't feel like getting my head ripped off by my mom." He admits and fiddles with his camera.

"Ah so the bad boy has a weakness."

Vincent raises an eyebrow and steps forward. I cocked my head, daring him to say something to my tease. He takes me by surprise when he curves his hand to the side of my lower back and pulls me forward slightly. I use my hand on his stomach to keep a slight distance.