TWENTY-THREE

"Last time you told me you hated people, pools and pineapple

"Last time you told me you hated people, pools and pineapple . . . a unique combination," Mrs Bolton comments, breaking the silence with five minutes left of the session. "Is there any reason in particular for those?"

I tap my nails against my thigh, "Pineapple just tastes too sweet. Pools can kill you. People are just horrible."

"What qualifies as a horrible person?" she asks, seemingly not bothered or annoyed this time I'm not speaking until the last five minutes. "What characteristics?"

"Everyone is horrible. It's a standard model with modifications to certain people," I avoid giving a direct answer and stick with my gut instinct. "Some express it externally while others internalize their rotten acts to appear good."

"And you believe you're the former?"

I narrow my eyes slightly. "You come to that conclusion, how?"

"Previously you explained to me your views on the social hierarchy and said it was survival of the fittest. It seems applicable that it could mean survival of the cruelest."

"That's because it is. If you aren't cruel then you're the target." I deadpan.

She nods in response. "Which you believe your teammates targeted you through exploitation?"

"I thought this counseling was meant to be for my accident, not my teammates."

"You refused to talk about it," she dryly responds, twisting her pen between her fingers. "But I think the social impacts could have factored into it."

"So, you think they dropped me on purpose?" I ask hesitantly.

"You're hyper-vigilant of the people around you to the point it's almost paranoia," she explains, stopping the motion with her pen. "Do you believe they dropped you on purpose?"

I shake my head. "No, it was an accident . . . although it shouldn't have happened."

"You can't prevent an accident from happening."

"It wasn't intentional for them to drop me. One of the bases was distracted by a guy she was seeing, and it happened so quick." I'm surprised by how quickly I answer, and she raises an eyebrow.

"I've been informed you're a very organized person . . . you like to be in control." Mrs Bolton states, waiting for my commentary on it.

I purse my lips. "I prefer not having to rely on others."

"But you need to when you do cheerleading," My eyes flicker to the clock, knowing where she's going with this one already. "Do you trust these people?"

"I don't trust people which is why I hate them," I dryly admit, uncrossing my legs and reaching for my bag. "I'd rather not be let down and relying on myself means I'm the only one to blame if things go wrong."