FIFTEEN

"As the last part of our module we'll be focusing on the importance of communities

"As the last part of our module we'll be focusing on the importance of communities." I half heartedly pay attention to the last ten minutes of English, desperately wanting to leave the class already.

I'm in an irritable mood and fidgeting with my pen constantly because the clock isn't moving fast enough. All I want to do right now is find a distraction, to have something other than my thoughts swirling around and punishing me for my actions.

I can't concentrate on any school work - even Chemistry was a bust. I couldn't calculate the molar mass of anything without being off by a few scientific notations. It's frustrating, more so when my assignment is due next week and I haven't finished it.

Normally I would be fine tuning a week before its due but I can't bring myself to even touch it. It's safe to say I'm having an off day - the one day that nothing goes right.

"Do we get to pick the book?"

I snap out of my stare when the person in front of me speaks. Mrs Albury nods once and reaches behind for a piece of paper. "It's a free choice of book within reason, same goes for partners. However I don't want you working with the same person from the epilogue challenge - the following people can't work together easily."

Naturally she creates a divide through the friend groups and everyone is forced to pick someone out of their comfort zone. I watch people slowly move, hesitant to pair up and stand to do the same with the brunette in the front row.

She's attentive, kind of a teacher's pet but at least I won't be hounding her for help. Before I can slide out I come face to face with a gray chest, my stomach hollowing out as I look up. Widening my eyes I can't help my protest.

"No."

Sam goes to respond but Mrs Albury smiles from the side and intervenes. "I think you two will work well together - no, I said no! You two aren't to be paired up with one another."

She moves behind Sam and nearly barrels him over from behind. Staring after her, I watch helplessly and want to protest as she argues with two footballers dead set on pairing up. I gape wordlessly before settling on Sam who's trying no to smile.

"You heard her, we work together."

Sam makes himself comfortable in the chair beside mine and I remain standing, wanting nothing more than to be childish and demand a swap. But a quick look around, nearly everyone is paired up. Even the footballers split themselves reluctantly.

I sink down and fiddle with my notebook, unsurprisingly Sam is the first to speak. "What book do you want to do?"

Flipping to the front of the notebook I remove the syllabus from its pocket and flip over to get to the task outline. I'm aware of Sam intently watching me, remaining silent while I read over the task itself. Simple PowerPoint presentation, two minutes talk, paired up and due a week later. Easy.