NINE

From DadPlease reconsider going tonight - 78 Kerri Street, be there by 7pm

From Dad
Please reconsider going tonight - 78 Kerri Street, be there by 7pm.

I stare at the text message dad sent me around lunch time about having dinner with my mom. At first glance I wanted to just brush it off and focus on school work - until my wandering mind got the best of me.

What would she want to talk about? Is this her trying to apologize? Why now? How come she contacts dad instead of me? Why did she leave me?

I couldn't focus on anything but those questions which is why I'm currently sitting in the car park of the restaurant, trying to muster up the courage to go inside. I need answers more than anything else. But I'm not sure I could stomach hearing the answers.

Before I let my mind wander further into the abyss I make my way to the entry. One foot in front of the other. I glance up from the pathway at the incoming shoes and narrowly avoid crashing into a couple holding hands.

"Sorry." I apologize.

"It's fine." The older man replies and continues his conversation with his wife.

I smile slightly at the couple and wonder how long they've been together. The way he's supporting her despite using a walking cane is adorable and I feel my chest swell with warmth. That's the kind of love I want some day.

Even though I don't deserve it.

I exhale and see my reflection in the glass, stepping forward to adjust my lipstick which smeared in the slightest. Until I focus through the window and my eyes land on my mom.

The first thing I notice is how wide and bright her smile is, the way it makes her eyes light up with pure joy. She pushes her dark bangs out of the way before rubbing her lips together to contain laughter like it'll sputter out at any moment.

That's when my eyes fall on the person beside her.

Immediately my stomach twists at the dark skinned woman making her laugh. She leans into my mom's caress of her cheek, the hand slides back into the ringlets and they meet for a kiss. I look away, feeling sharp pricks at the back of my eyes along with a nail gun being drilled into my chest, opening old wounds that I thought healed.

Inhaling feels like toxic gas and I can barely breathe without my chest aching. She brought her with her. She wanted to see me tonight but brought her? Biting down on my lip I look back through the glass and watch the scene unfold until they're merely blurry figures.

Of course she didn't really want to see me. Not to apologize. Not to explain. Not to say she was coming back. She's gone.

I stumble away, barely making out any images as the tears fall. Why wasn't I enough? The times she did smile like that was rare and it was hardly directed at me.

Slamming the car door behind me I feel disoriented and can hardly breathe without it feeling as if something is tearing inside my chest. I fumble to get the keys into the ignition and end up screaming at the frustration bubbling to the surface.