Chapter 27

The day did not go on to be a bright one.

Panic and anxiety flooded the halls. Shouted commands, boots on stone and tarmac, heavy breathing and booming engines could be heard from all corners of the base. Sweat and oil filled the once sweet-smelling air of D'Qar.

The sky had gone grey.

The evacuation order had been given barely an hour after the Millennium Falcon's departure, which had only been mere hours ago, and already they were running out of time. All the officials and almost all the pilots were already off the planet, while those who remained were still loading transports with what they needed. They had been ordered to take only what was needed – unfortunately, that was close to everything.

Nova's boots hit the floor hard as she ran, arms loaded with a crate of supplies. She had already packed a small bag with what she could not stand to lose and thrown it into the cockpit of her X-Wing, ready to depart at the latest point she could. She had flat out refused to leave when she had been asked to evacuate with what remained of her squadron, instead staying with the ground crew to help pack up the data they could not afford falling into the wrong hands.

Her comm link crackled in her pocket, causing her to roll her eyes. It was becoming increasingly harder to ignore, only adding to her frayed nerves and frustration.

Placing the crate on the transport, she gave Connix a quick thumbs up before answering the call.

"Captain Organa," she half snapped, pushing her hair back from her face as she turned to jog back into the base for more supplies.

"I thought you were told to evacuate half an hour ago," Poe said dryly, sounding just as irritated as her.

"I was given some leeway."

"That leeway ended twenty minutes ago." His voice came from behind her this time, free of distortion.

With a sigh, Nova turned to face the dark-haired pilot. she found him leaning against the wall of the hanger; arms folded and expression stern.

Placing the comm link back in his pocket, he strode across to Nova, who promptly let her head fall back like a teenager caught trying to sneak out.

"You shouldn't be here."

"Funny, weren't you told to evacuate with the rest of the pilots?" she challenged.

"This is not the time, Nova," he said disapprovingly. "And I am not leaving until all my pilots are out."

"Well, you're gonna have a hell of a wait. I'm not leaving until I have to."

She spun to walk away, but Poe was faster, grabbing her arm. She glared at him, but did not put up any resistance.

"Get to your ship, Captain. That's an order."

Pulling herself free from his hold, she strode out to her X-Wing, brows knitted together, jaw clenched. Pre-flight checks had already been run, ready for a hasty departure.

BB-6 beeped from their slot, anxious to leave the rush and chaos on the ground behind.

Nova's short flight between D'Qar and the Resistance flag ship was passed in silence. She docked in the hanger reserved for what remaining starfighters they had fit for use. The second hanger was being used for the transport ships.

The Raddus was the largest and most modern of the ships the Resistance had creatively acquired over the years. Along with the medical frigate Anodyne, the cargo frigate Vigil and the bunker buster Ninka, they made up an underwhelming fleet that not even their fighter squadrons could compensate for anymore. With the destruction of Hosnian Prime and the Republic, they would be forced to depend on the resources of allied systems to expand their forces.

Poe and BB-8 docked after Nova and BB-6, meeting them on the ground before heading to the bridge in silence.

The durasteel corridors were a bright and clean white, and echoed with each stride the pilots took, their droids rolling obediently after them.

The doors to the main bridge stood open, revealing the leadership of the Resistance going about their duties. The central holotable was active, providing a view of the fleet and influx of transports.

Leia was the one to oversee the proceedings with a grave expression. Poe and Nova's entrance seemed to somewhat ease her mind, her shoulders and frown relaxed. "Thank you, Poe."

Poe nodded and made his departure to continue overseeing the rest of the evacuation.

Nova shifted where she stood under her superior's gaze, waiting for her inevitable reprimand. Being the General's daughter excused nothing when it came to orders, especially under trying circumstances.

Leia smiled in sympathy, seeing a younger version of herself reflected in her daughter. The same fire, the same resolve. Her tone was kind when she spoke. "I understand, Nova."

Nova straightened to meet her eye.

"I was like you once," she continued. "If your father were still here, he'd tell you how he had to drag me off Hoth."

The mention of Han brought with it a small wave of grief, which they faced in silence with sad smiles. For all his sarcastic comments about leaving so they would miss him, Han would not want the two girls he loved the most to cry for him. They both new this, and had promised each other to do their best to move forward with strength, and honour his memory in their hearts, witty comments and stubbornness.

A promise Nova was silently struggling to find the strength to fulfil.

"I know it's hard, Nova. Believe me, I do. But I need you to focus, I need you here."

"Yes, General," she said, swallowing thickly. "I'm sorry."

Leia nodded, dismissing her to her post.

Nova moved to stand before the primary viewport, looking out at the not-so-distant stars. Wishing to be one with them in whatever way the force saw fit. Admittedly, she had an unspoken preference.

A steady stream of transports was still coming aboard the cruiser. They looked smaller now from where she stood; insignificant even. But hopeful.

They were not dead yet.

The first Star Destroyer dropped out of hyperspace with a silent yet physical boom, soon followed by three more. The last of this three was the infamous Finalizer, no doubt helmed by the just as infamous General Hux.

Nova grimaced as she took in the new threat. "They're here."

"Well, we knew that was coming," Poe sighed.

Nova's expression became one of resigned agreement.

Poe returned to the control panel, signalling to those still on the surface. No doubt they had already seen the destroyers arrive. "Connix, is the base fully evacuated?"

"Still loading the last batch of transports," the lieutenant replied, frantic. "We need more time."

Poe looked at Leia, a certain glint in his eyes.

The General cut him off before he had the chance to open his mouth. "You've got an idea, but I won't like it."

Nova narrowed her eyes, only able to imagine the sort of crazy plan formulating in her friend's head.

He opened his mouth to plead his case, but Leia once again anticipated him.

"Go."

He nodded, gesturing for Nova to follow him. Together, the pair left the bridge for the hanger, their droids following their masters as they always did.

"What's the plan?" she asked.

"You're not gonna like it."

"Great. Let's get it over with quickly, then."