Chapter 61

"This victory doesn't just belong to us, but also to those we lost. Those who gave their lives for others because they believed in a better future. Well, look around. Their sacrifices were not in vain."

Nova was stood atop a pile of crates, allowing her to look out across the Resistance party.

Dark was starting to creep in, covering the cave in dancing shadows. in the hours between their return and the start of 'official' celebrations, supplies and screens had been moved to the side in favour of tables and lights, giving off a far more welcoming atmosphere. It was not much, but it did not matter.

They had drinks and each other. That was more than many of them could have asked for before going off to Exegol, knowing it could well have been their demise.

"I would suggest we have a moment of silence, but that's the last thing anyone – least of all my mom – would stand for at a party."

A collective chuckle circulated the cave, mostly from those who had had the pleasure of knowing Leia over her many years of service to the galaxy. As a rebel or as a senator.

"This is not the time for tears. So instead, let's honour the fallen with our stories, our songs, and our laughter. Let's enjoy this night. We've earned it."

Amidst the cheers of her comrades, Nova stepped down from the crates, taking Poe's hand to keep her steady. She sighed quietly, calming her small rush of anxiety. Public speaking had never been her favourite thing.

She politely refused the drink Finn offered her. Celebration and a little nervousness was not enough to break her sobriety.

Rey placed a gentle hand on Nova's shoulder. "You okay?"

Nova nodded somewhat dismissively. "Fine, yeah..."

The Jedi watched her silently, reading her expression like an open book.

Nova shifted under her stare before relenting, jerking her head for the younger woman to walk with her. "It's just, harder than I thought... you know?"

"I'm so sorry." Rey dropped her gaze to the floor. She could only really imagine what Nova was feeling – the deep loss of family.

"Not your fault," Nova shrugged. "Besides, we won. This is what she would've wanted."

Rey went to speak again before she was cut off.

"I don't want to talk about Ben. I know there was something... complicated... with you two that I'll never understand. But he took more from me than I can ever forgive."

Some scars would never heal.

"You need time," Rey said.

"Right now, I don't know what I need. Can we drop it?"

Rey nodded, averting her gaze again.

"What is it?"

The young woman sighed. "I – I still feel lost. I got answers, but..."

"Not what you were looking for?"

She shook her head.

"You know," Nova said gently, "bloodlines aren't everything – they're not nearly as important as everyone makes them out to be."

Rey looked at her with a frown.

"I mean, my mom was the daughter of Darth Vader, but that had no bearing on if she was a good person or not. Personally, I think we're defined by the choices we make, not a name we didn't choose." She placed a hand on Rey's shoulder. "Who do you choose to be?"