Chapter 54

Directions acquired, the group continued through the doors and hallways, fanning out to guard each other at intersections. If the troopers' instructions were correct, which under the circumstances they were without a doubt, then they were closing in.

"Cameras," Nova warned.

Poe acted accordingly in sync with her, taking out the two cameras situated either side of the intersection while Finn went for the next door to break through the inscription codes.

Rey seemed distracted, looking off down another hallway, muttering to herself. "The dagger is on this ship. We need it."

Poe frowned. "Why?"

"A feeling. I'll meet you back at the hanger." She took off before she could be questioned further.

Nova watched her go, sceptical. There was something else, something personal in Rey's determination. It was perhaps guiding her too strongly, but that was not for the pilot to decide.

Finn went to protest and follow her, but was caught by Poe before he could take too steps.

"Chewie," he reminded him.

Finn nodded, and together the trio took off through the newly opened door.

They located the interrogation block soon enough – the black durasteel highlighted with red a welcome but twisted change from the rest of the ship's white and blue. They worked their way down the row of uninviting doors, scanning each one for the reference they had been given. It was a mercifully short search.

The cell door opened to reveal their Wookiee companion – alive, if not entirely well. He was forced to his knees, his large furry arms pulled back and shackled to the wall.

He roared in relief at the sight of them.

"Of course we came for you, Chewie," Poe said, setting about freeing him with Finn's assistance.

Nova kept her eyes and blaster on the door.

Chewie looked between them, growling to inquire as to why there was only three of them.

"Rey's here," Finn assured. "She going to get the dagger."

"We should get moving," Nova said. An uneasy feeling gnawed at her ribs with every second that ticked by in that room.

"Copy that." Poe groaned, straining as he and Finn hauled the Wookiee to his feet.

Their eyes met briefly, and Nova nodded tightly.

One way the couple were able to maintain a stable balance between work and their private life was to compartmentalise: keep any strong feelings or grievances off the battlefield until the mission was complete. It meant they kept their judgement clear, and could follow each other's orders without much complaint.

It was a useful method they employed, born from the deep trust and respect they held for one another. They knew when to defer to the other in combat, and could rely on them to have their back in a bind no matter what.

Finn and Poe stepped past her back into the hallway, but before Chewie could do the same, Nova threw her arms around him tightly. Her head became engulfed by his thick fur for a moment, and she felt his arm wrap around her. One of his paws patted her head, and he emitted a sound closer to a purr than his usual growls.

"Follow me," Finn instructed, leading them back into the open. They barely reached the first door before they were backing up and shooting out the controls to the blast door. Company had found them. "Wrong way!"

"Not really a right way is there?" Poe grumbled, heading for the opposite exit, clearing it with a few well-aimed shots.

Time to improvise a way out. Stealth had been jettisoned out the airlock with the first shots. Now they needed speed and efficiency.