Chapter 49

No sooner had they landed from one peril were they already gearing up to face another. The Falcon's repairs were fast tracked to near completion, and the frontrunning fighters assembled to head out to face the next fight.

"You don't need to worry," Bastila said. "I know the drill by now. I'll keep an eye on things until you get back from your awesome adventures."

A smile graced her already friendly face, assuring Nova that she was in no way resentful the arrangement. In fact, she was rather happy with it. While Nova's tales of Jakku and the outskirts of the Unknown Regions excited her, she did not want to live them herself.

Nova finished adjusting her thigh holster. "You could come with us."

The Bastila shook her head. "Someone has to make sure the squad stays in line."

"Hmm. And you get to spend more time with Lel."

The younger woman blushed. "I don't know what you mean."

Nova raised an eyebrow. "Trust me. Just ask her out. And if Dorn has anything to say about it, tell him he can take it up with me, not you."

"Why are you so invested in my love life? Is there a bet going around or something?"

She shook her head, her voice sincere. "I just don't want you to make my mistakes."

Bastila nodded in understanding.

"Everything ready?" Finn asked as he past them, giving Nova a pat on the shoulder.

"And that's my cue," she nodded, pointing to BB-6. "Look after my droid."

"They'll be safe with me." Bastila smiled. "Good luck."

The pilots parted ways with a mutual two-fingered salute.

"Got her up and running?" Poe asked as Nova approached.

"Yessir," she responded, grabbing the last small supply crate to put on board.

"You were right before," Rey addressed Poe sincerely. "I'm going to pick up Luke's search for Exegol. I'm gonna start where his trail went cold. The forbidden desert of Pasaana."

"Yeah, I know. We're going with you."

Rey faltered, looking between her friends as they moved around her, preparing for the mission. She frowned. "I need to go alone."

"Yeah, alone with friends," Finn said.

"It's too dangerous, Finn."

"We go together."

The young Jedi looked around her friends, unable to hide her genuine smile. Finn's well-meaning gaze, Nova's reassuring smile and Poe's earnest demeanour all wearing her down. They were there for her, to the end if that was what they were facing.

BB-8 chirped from beside Nova's ankles.

"I whole-heartedly agree," C-3PO added.

"You're not getting rid of us that easily," Nova smirked, arms folded across her chest.

Everyone broke to make what could be their final farewells, though all of them had hope that would not be the case. They approached the task with optimism – more forced on the part of some. All of them wished to hold onto the moment of peace before the inevitable storm. In departure, the thought of failure was not something they wished to dwell upon.

Leia's hand, withering but soft, rested atop her daughter's. Her thumb traced patterns across the knuckles in the way of motherly comfort. "Be safe."