Chapter 31

The Raddus shook around them as the crew went into a panic, everyone dashing to their stations amidst the rush. Sparks showered from the ceiling as the hull took the assault of fire from the enemy fleet. The shields would hold, but the impact was undeniable.

"Do you actually have a plan?" Nova demanded of her wing-man, practised fingers fastening her flight vest as she ran. Her legs were just as steady, managing to keep her balanced as the cruiser rocked below her boots – despite BB-6 nearly tripping her up in their own anxieties.

"Working on it!" Poe assured without missing a beat, pushing through the strain on his lungs from running.

Nova was left unconvinced, but it was the best answer she could hope to get under the circumstances.

BB-8 squealed nervously to his pilot, rolling at the head of the group.

"Don't wait for me," Poe urged. "Jump in and fire her up! You too, Beebee-Six!"

The blue and white droid spared a look back at Nova, waiting for her go-ahead. Upon receiving it, they powered forward to catch up with BB-8, the pair rounding the corner into the hanger soon after.

A dreaded and familiar feeling set in Nova's chest. The same one she was used to feeling when waking from a nightmare.

She could feel his presence, try as she did to suppress it. Her brother, and the dread he brought with him to her, circling the ship like a beast hunting prey. Drawing closer and closer for the kill.

She had barely set foot in the hanger when the torpedo hit, ripping through the shielding like it was non-existent. The flames engulfed everything in their path, starfighters, pilots, mechanics and droids alike, with no mercy for any of them. No hope of survival for any of them.

Poe and Nova were fortunate enough to be caught on the edge, taking the force of the blow before the fire. As such, they were thrown backwards into the hallway.

Poe took the hit first, landing on his back on the steel floor. He managed to sit up with a groan, catching a glimpse of the desolation before the blast doors slammed shut, locking it away.

The BB units had followed his exit, bouncing out with shrieks of terror. The impact left both droids beyond shaken, BB-6's antenna snapped off and BB-8's head detached.

Nova had been thrown the furthest, slamming into the wall and then the floor, leaving her head spinning and body aching. She fought to push herself onto her hands and knees, heaving a breath into her chest. She could not bring herself to look back to the hanger doors; taunting her in her defeat.

"We need to get out of range of those Star Destroyers," Poe groaned as Finn reached him, allowing his friend to help him up. As soon as he was on his feet he was by Nova's side, guiding her to stand with one arm securely around her waist. "You alright?"

Nova shifted to lean her weight against the wall, keeping one arm around Poe's shoulders for some sorely needed stability. "I'm alive."

The darkness continued to circle them, further away than before still too close for comfort. Chaos and terror were instilled through the halls by their presence. Alarms continued to blare, only increasing when another crippling blow was inflicted upon the Raddus.

Four torpedoes had been launched at the bridge, creating a breach so big that everything and everyone not swallowed by the flames had been sucked out into space.

Nova barely heard Connix's frantic explanation, knees buckling under her own weight until she caught herself against Poe once more. Her chest ached with anguish, and her eyes burned with a numb anger.

It felt as though something had been torn from her very being.

What remained of the bridge could be seen from a nearby viewport, floating eternally in the dark. Amongst it all was a presence, clinging to the fading light. Still fighting, even as her strength slipped through her fingers like sand.

Nova could feel her. hands pressed to the metal surrounding the viewport, and with a heavy heart, looked out to where she knew her to be. It seemed her brother had once again taken her family from her, leaving her alive in the destruction and the cold.

But all was not lost. A spark ignited. A tremor in the Force. And soon enough, Leia was pulling herself back to the Raddus with all the strength she had left.

Nova took off running for the doors, closely followed by Poe, Finn and Connix. The blast doors released long enough to get Leia inside, by which time a medical team had assembled to aid the now unconscious General.

A small group accompanied her to her quarters, where the medical droids took her inside to be tended to. Signs of life were weak, but she was fighting like she always did.

Nova's feet dragged, and she fell to the back of the group, coming to a stop just short of her mother's quarters. She had a despondent look on her face, her gaze fixed to the floor. The ache in her body faded from her mind to become an afterthought. The ache in her mind took its place.

People gave her passing looks of sympathy, but none engaged her with a word. The aftershock of the attack was still rippling across the ship, leaving everyone lost for words and anxieties raised.

BB-6 loitered by her ankles, rocking back and forth. No chirps or whirs were emitted aside from the regular hums of their mechanisms.

Poe returned to her side a moment later, automatically drawing her into his embrace. He held her tightly, letting her cling to him. Cheek to cheek as she rested her chin on his shoulder.

"She'll pull through," he murmured. "You know she will. She wouldn't leave us without one hell of a fight first."

Nova managed a tight nod, letting herself find comfort in the sentiment. It brought her a tiny glimmer of hope.

Poe had always had a way of doing that – challenging her pessimism with his own optimism, even when it wavered. It often earned him an eyeroll or snippy comment, but she was never unappreciative.

Even when she had nothing, she had him. And now it seemed he was all she had left that had yet to be ruined completely.