Chapter 44

Hosnian Prime.

The recently elected capital of the New Republic – once a shining beacon of hope after years of darkness and war, now falling victim to indecision and corruption. The divide between those who believed in planets' individual authority and those who believed in a stronger central galactic government was growing larger by the day and had been almost since the Republic's foundation. The last three years had kicked that downward progression into hyperdrive, with increased terrorist attacks, assassinations and talk of electing a First Senator to overrule decision making.

And political corruption bred the need to cover up secrets and scandal. The protection of fragile images becoming priceless. As such, more and more Senators required delicate matters to be 'taken care of' in tasteful terms and were willing to turn to the criminal underworld and pay a high price for the very best bounty hunters and assassins.

It was a high-risk field only the best could hope to compete and survive in. Subtlety and stealth were of the utmost importance – it was not a job for thrill seekers or glory chasers. It needed to be quick, clean, no civilian casualties.

Blitz only needed one shot.

Senator Xiono once again had asked for 'him' and only 'him'.

Blitz was not in the business of asking the 'why', only the 'who' and 'how much'; a fact that sat very well with all their clientele.

They perched atop the cityscape like a hawk, rifle in hand. Gloved fingers fiddled with the configurations. The sky was a brilliant orange behind them, though they had no desire to enjoy the view. The dying light was absorbed by their armour – somewhat mismatched pieces all painted to the same dull grey. To the sun, they were a ghost, to the shadows, a friend.

Under their mask, their breathing was shallow – dangerously composed. Their eyes narrowed behind the visor as they raised the rifle, staring down to scope at the target. Their finger hovered over the trigger, waiting, calculating.

With a squeeze, the bolt was released, accompanied by a high-pitched screech. Blazing, blue and hot, it took mere seconds to find its final resting place in the target's broad chest. Immediately, he crumpled to the ground to be swarmed by bystanders.

Blitz made a calm retreat, slinging the rifle over their shoulder and swinging themself down from the roof to the empty street below. Like Coruscant, the lower levels of the cityscape planet were a hive of unsavoury activity. New Republic law enforcement never thought, or perhaps dared, to go that deep into the city. Or perhaps they lived in wilful ignorance of its existence at all, never daring to think the corruption could be under their noses.

Head down, they returned to a secluded, run-down hanger, and to the place they called home. The only constant in their complicated life. Their ship – The Storm – acquired from a scrap yard on Batuu. The XS stock light freighter, while outdated, served its purpose well, for business and for pleasure – two sides that were not uncommon to cross if they so needed.

Entering the cockpit, the bounty hunter tossed themself into the pilot's chair, dropping the rifle across the ever-empty co-pilot's seat. Turning to the control console, they flicked the communications system to life, sending out a transmission to their employer.

Their helmet's vocoder scrambled their voice when they spoke, giving it a deep, grating quality. "It's done. Confirmation will be on the holonet within the hour." 

They waited for the response, chewing the inside of their cheek. It came soon enough.

"Good. Your payment is on route."