Chapter 38

"Seal that door!" Poe ordered upon seeing the commotion in the hanger break out.

Connix did so, overriding the controls to keep them locked inside. No one was getting through that door without force, hopefully buying them enough time.

All that was left to do was wait.

It seemed C-3PO had other ideas, beginning to shuffle his way towards the second door to the bridge.

"Threepio, where do you think you're going?" Poe called warningly to the golden droid, having spotted him immediately.

"It would be quite against my programming to be party to a mutiny," C-3PO defended, sounding rather indignant. "It is not correct protocol!"

White sparks began to fly off the door before he could reach it. Someone had begun to cut through from the other side – it would not be long before they would break through entirely. Numbers were unknown, but Poe could wager at least ten of Holdo's loyalists would be on them.

"Finn! We're ready to make the jump!" Poe called into his commlink, only to be met with silence.

The door continued to spark, forcing the small band of mutineers to pull their blasters and take what cover they could behind control panels.

Poe's face was drawn into a worried frown as he fumbled for his sidearm, taking refuge behind the primary flight console. He used it to steady his somewhat shaky arms as he raised his blaster, keeping it trained on the bridge entrance.

Chaos was unfolding on the other end of the commlink. It was distorted, cutting in and out as its holder was wrestled to the ground. Shouting surrounded them from the enemy, easily and undoubtably outnumbering them. And then silence.

"They didn't make it," Poe realised under his breath.

Nova had been right. Their plan was shot.

The door was blown apart seconds later, sending smoke and debris across the room.

Poe straightened, instinctively retreating from the blast, his grip on his blaster tightening. Ready to face whoever entered, presuming it to be a selection of bridge officers, possibly even Nova.

His guard dropped as the General herself emerged from the smoke, still dressed in her medical gown, leaning on a stick for support. Her expression was grave as she faced down the disgraced captain.

Before he could so much as speak two words, Leia revealed her blaster, firing off a single stun-shot. It hit Poe square in the chest, sending him backwards until her hit the wall, unconscious by the time he crumpled to the ground.

Connix and C-3PO raised their arms in surrender, guilt and anxiety ruling their demeanours.

Nova stepped out from the smoke, motioning for the officers to quietly remove the mutineers from the bridge, before heading over to where Poe was lying. She crouched down beside him, brushing her thumb across his cheek. She would not deny it had been an immensely satisfying sight to see him fly into the wall, but she still had to admit it was a little harsh.

Standing back to full height, she stepped aside to let the officers pull him up onto a stretcher to take him down to the hanger, watching on in silence.

---

"That one's a troublemaker," Holdo mused, watching from Leia's side as the unconscious pilot was moved on board a transport. "I like him."

"Me too," Leia said with a smile, shooting Nova a knowing look.

Holdo nodded thoughtfully. "They're good for each other," she muttered to Leia, gesturing to Nova with her piercing blue eyes.

Kyber Heart - Poe DameronOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara