Chapter 53

A cold blanket of mist had settled over the city. Light broke through in points, coming from bright torches or patrolling walkers. The sound of their heavy steps and hydraulics echoed up through the streets. Distant screams and barked orders accompanied them.

The rooftops provided a safe enough lookout for Poe and Zorii, watching everything below them from the shadows.

"How long has it been like this?" Poe asked.

"First Order took most of the kids a long time ago," Zorii said. "Can't stand the cries anymore. I've saved up enough to get out. I'm going to the Colonies."

"How? All those hyperlanes are blocked," he frowned.

He had never thought Zorii would want to leave. she had been raised in the life of organised crime, and had always been content with it. Even when things got rough in the years he ran in her circle, she had fought to stay.

But then the First Order came. Imposing their will with no intent to make positive change. Just to muzzle and chain the population.

Running became the way to survive.

Zorii reached into her boot, producing a small disc. Holding it up to the fading light revealed the details decorating it, giving it meaning.

"That's a First Order captain's medallion," Poe chuckled in disbelief as he studied it. "I've never seen a real one."

"Free passage through any blockade," Zorii said. "Landing privileges, any vessel."

Touching the side of her mask, her visor flicked back to reveal her eyes, green and catching in the light. "Wanna come with me?"

Poe sighed, his expression becoming grave. There was a time he would have jumped at the chance of running, of carefree adventuring. But then he grew up, and the galaxy changed. And there was no going back.

"I can't walk out on this war," he said. "Not 'til it's over."

An old feeling of hopelessness was rising in his chest. "Maybe it is. We sent out a call for help at the Battle of Crait. Nobody came. Everyone's so afraid. They've given up."

Zorii frowned. "No, I don't believe you believe that."

He kept his gaze on the city below.

"Hey," her voice softened. "They win by making you think you're alone, remember? There's more of us."

He nodded.

Flicking her visor back into place, she returned to watching the streets. "So, you and Blitz, huh?"

"Don't call her that."

She glanced back at him, caught off-guard by his sharp tone. "She's not here."

"I don't care."

She paused, considering him. "You staying for her?"

"She's staying for me," he muttered to himself. "But it's more than that. This war is bigger than both of us."

Zorii chuckled. "You're crazy about her."

Poe stayed silent.

"I don't like her."

"Okay," he shrugged, far from surprised or interested in her opinion on his partner.

"But you're not gonna get much better than her."

He smiled to himself. "I know."

---

Nova stood alone, confining herself to a corner with feigned interest in the parts hanging from the wall. She stared ahead at part of an old astromech, unfocused while her fingers idly toyed with her necklace. Pads tracing over the carefully carved details.