Vigilant Siren: Chapter 3

Brick upon brick build an impenetrable wall that reached towards the sky. Its slick exterior, a gray doom, casting its shadow across the waters below. Draining them from the slightest moonlight. The waters were cold in its shadow, as if to warn anyone who dared to approach the demon's prison. But tonight someone did approach it. Shaking like a leave, Suvanna swam up to the island, cutting her feet on the sharp rock as she tried to walk up the shore. Everything about the island told her to stay as far away as she could. All her mermaids would drag her back into the safety of the ocean if they knew what she was doing right now. But she had to do it. For the prince.

The doors opened before she even had a chance to knock, sending chills down her spine. For a split second she wondered if she could still run away, follow her instincts and just run. Any normal person would do that, so why were her feet crossing the threshold, walking into a darkened hallway as the doors behind her creaked back into its lock. Darkness engulfed her as she kept dragging her feet, searching for any sign of light. That's when she saw it, a tall shadow basking in the only ray of moonlight that slipped passed the walls. Long raven black hair flowing in the wind, skin the shade of marble cutting out a face behind the long locks.

"I doubt you have come here, uninvited, to merely stare at me, haven't you, Siren?"

His sharp voice surprised Suvanna, it was threatening but not entirely inhuman. "I didn't mean to intrude. I'm here on behalf of prince Hanuman."

Ravan circled the siren taking her in with hungry eyes. "I didn't know a daughter of the ocean, could be a messenger for some lowly prince. It's a bit below your station, don't you think?"

"My occupations is none of your concern, demon. I'll come straight to the point, are you holding princess Akuti hostage here?" Suvanna shot back with distain in her voice. Her hostile and cold treatment didn't seem to face Ravan in the slightest. If anything it amused him, "Princess Akuti is here, yes. As my guest."

Lilac eyes shifted in disbelieve, making the grin on the demon's face even wider. "Come, I'll show you."

Guiding Suvanna further and further into the dark castle, the sirens fright started to take a hold on her. As if he could smell it, Ravan grabbed her hand engulfing her warmth with his strong cold grip. "You know, I was thinking about letting the princess go. But now that you've arrived here bearing this news, I know I can never send her back."

Digging her heels in the ground Suvanna forced him to stop, "Why not?"

"Because I will never let prince Hanuman have you." His words, the tenderness in his voice, it confused her. As if her skin burned his, he dropped her hand turning away from her. His face obscured by the darkness, he raced through the long halls like a ghost. Suvanna could barely keep up with him, until he suddenly stopped without warning. Suvanna took a step when her eyes caught sight of the dome in front of them.

It's silver interior only noticeable by the light of the hundreds of candles. In the middle of the dome sat an shaman his legs crossed in the lotus position, his hands open to the heavens. And in front of him sat a woman, mirroring the shaman perfectly. The veil covered the woman completely from behind, so a curious Suvanna crept closer to the center of the dome.

The Shaman's word's made her jump. He suddenly started to chant when Suvanna was next to the woman. Glancing over she could see it was a young woman, a golden crown gracing her forehead. She turned to Suvanna chestnut eyes, smiling at her. "Akuti?", Suvanna asked.

The woman nodded.

"Prince Hanuman, wants you to return home," Suvanna added. The woman shook her head, her face contracting in a disgusted grimace. "I'm not going. I'm finally at peace here."

The shaman continued his chant, growing louder with each word,

"Two gave their life for one.

One fell for gold, shining like the sun. Two fell for silver, bright as the moon. Three and he'll be here for eternity. Three don't fall for thee,

don't fall for thee."

Suvanna turned to Ravan furious, "What kind of spell did you put her under? I demand that you-"

"Remember, you're a guest siren. You can't demand anything from me." Ravan shot back, his voice echoing through the dome. He turned away from Suvanna once again, climbing the stairs of the towers. Suvanna followed him closely, her anger boiling over at this point. "Don't keep walking away from me, you demon! You clearly bewitched the princess, she is your prisoner. Are you even listening?"

Ravan kept walking, until he reached the top of the tower, looking out over the sea. Suvanna joined him, slightly out of breath. The view of the sea was breathtaking from these towers, but Suvanna still had to address the matter at hand.

"Ravan, please return the princess to her brother." She pleaded.

An eyebrow raised as Ravan looked at her quizzical, "Her brother?" He searched the sirens lilac eyes as he slowly closed the distance between them, trapping Suvanna between the edge of the tower and himself. "Be vigilant, Suvanna. Lying tongues, may sounds truthful. But men have dark intentions with a woman as beautiful as you."

Suvanna leaned back over the edge. "I don't understand?"

A hand graced her cheek, "You don't have to. Your heart knows the truth soon enough." Before she could respond Ravan crashed his lips against hers, warmth and cold collided sending shockwaves through Suvanna's body.

Losing her grip on the edge, she tumbled over the edge, diving head first into the warm water. Her body was tingling, her head spinning so much she didn't even hear Jasleen call out her name.

03:41 Stop the music

Please consider voting or commenting if you enjoyed this chapter of the Vigilant Siren.

Thanks my Stars🌟✨😘