Demure Siren: Chapter 5

Pale feet dragged across the soil. Sayuri cursed herself under her breath for ever giving Keiji that necklace. Over the years she had seen from afar how that sweet social kid turned into the towns crazy because of her. She had witnessed how he was being bullied for his believes. But she never thought it would lead him to make a deal with the devil.

She had prayed that by staying away he would one day stop believing in her, or forget about it. That he would find a beautiful wife and start a family. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she felt her heart sting at the thought, "No, don't be selfish. He deserves better than me."

"Does he?" a woman remarked.

Sayuri turned around to stare into the cold calculating eyes of Umeko. Her devilish grin baring her teeth.

"Turn him back you old hag," Sayuri hissed.

"Oh I'm sorry your highness, but I believe you're on my turf now."

Blue eyes turned dark as Sayuri stalked up to the witch, "don't play dumb with me. You saw his necklace, everyone knows he's under my protection as long as he wears the necklace."

Umeko didn't back away. "Yes, all the ghosts know. But a witch can't help but offer a hand when such an unfortunate soul reaches out."

"Take a hand, you mean. Or should I say tongue."

Umeko's grin morphed into a scowl. "He came to me, I simply gave him what he wanted."

"Oh sure, like he wanted to have a fin and become mute." Sayuri scoffed.

"He wanted the fin, his tongue was just the price."

Sayuri couldn't help but gasp in shock. Did Umeko really speak the truth? It didn't make sense, why would Keiji want a fin. Her brows furrowed deeply as her thoughts were trying to decide whether she should trust Umeko on this or not.

"You still don't get it, do you?" the witch taunted, her grin returning.

"What I get is that you have something of Keiji and I'm here to get it back."

"Only for the right price."

~~

Back at sea Keiji was swimming back and forth becoming increasingly worried. He couldn't seem to find Sayuri anywhere and the necklace didn't work anymore. Thoughts of her being in trouble or worse flashed before his eyes as he tried not panic.

Swimming back to the beach near the temple Keiji was suddenly stopped in the shallow waters by an immense pain in his throat. He clenched his hands before his mouth as he started to gag. Blood dripping from his lips stained the salty water. His throat tightened, swelling so much he couldn't even breathe anymore. Inside his mouth was something growing, it took him a moment to realize what it was. His tongue.

Initial happiness was immediately subdued by the sight of thunder striking the mountain. The flash was so bright Keiji had to avert his gaze for a moment, but as he turned back, something was lying on the beach. He didn't need to think twice as he saw the orange yukata. With all his strength Keiji dragged himself onto the shore to reach Sayuri's unconscious body. Pulling her back to the water, he spotted a drop of blood at the corner of her mouth.

Sea blue eyes, fluttered open, a slight haze covering their brightness. Keiji felt tears stinging in his eyes as he brushed her hair out of her face. "No, no, this wasn't supposed to happen. Sayuri, please speak to me."

Her lips pursed together in a thin line. Conforming his initial fear. "What have you done?" Keiji stammered.

Sayuri raised her hand to lay a finger on his lips, before pressing her forehead against his as if to tell him it was okay. As her breath slowed to a mere whisper, "I promised to protect you. Don't cry my love, be free."

Salty tears rolled over her round cheeks. Black filled the edges of her vision and the only thing she could hear was her own heartbeat slowing down until there was nothing left but heavenly silence. Like the foam rolling over the waves her spirit would soon be born again. But her memory of Keiji would be lost forever.