Vigilant Siren: Chapter 4

Running a finger across her lips she still felt it tingling from his touch, "How dare he lay a hand on the daughter of the sea. Does he not realize how uncalled that for was?" Suvanna murmured to herself, letting Jasleen and Aisha lead her upstream the river. The closer they came to the village center the more irritated she became with the demon, he had to be stopped. Stopped from taunting the prince and stopped from haunting Suvanna's head.

"Are you sure about this?" Aisha asked, worry evident in her voice. Suvanna nodded, "He won't listen to reason. I don't see another way." Both mermaids bobbed their head as they helped their mistress out of the water.

The sun was high in the sky as Suvanna made her way through the village center, which was now so much more lively than what she was used to. Both men and women were dancing through the street, flower pedals covering the stones in a carpet of spring colors. There seemed to be now particular reason for such an abundant festival, so Suvanna carefully approached a group of children, kneeling down to their height. "Pardon, can you tell me what you're celebrating today?"

"Prince Hanuman is engaged again!" A little boy laughed. His older sister shushed him quickly. "What do you mean again?" Suvanna asked surprised, suppressing her inner disappointment. The girl lay her finger on her lips and pulled her brother away from Suvanna, without answering the woman.

Their strange behavior didn't escape Suvanna, who started to walk towards the main square to ask someone else. There was definitely something going on, first Ravan with his vague words, that bewitched behavior of princess Akuti, the ramblings of the Shaman and now this.

Lost in thought she stumbled into a group of dancing women, twirling around the square. Before Suvanna could even apologize she was pulled into the dance by one of the women. Their colorful scarves enwrapped her, their voices echoed through her mind as she was twirled around, barely able to follow the steps of this dance. Suvanna closed her eyes to push away her dizziness, she stopped her feet to bring back her balance. All that payed any attention to her surroundings were her ears. That's when she heard it.

One fell for gold, shining like the sun.

Women were singing those words.

Two fell for silver, bright as the moon.

Why were they singing those words? Her eyes opened. Lilac collided with chestnut, caramel skin was illuminated by the sun and his broad black eyebrows were raised in surprise. "Is something wrong?"

Suvanna was at a loss for words when she realized just how closer prince Hanuman stood, his gold and silver robes made him shine like a god. The women's words rang in the back of Suvanna's mind, silver and gold. "Come, you should sit with me," Hanuman smiled guiding her towards the throne, overlooking the entire square. Digging her heels in the ground Suvanna back out of the prince's grip, bowing profusely. "You are very kind your highness, but I couldn't. I wouldn't want to disrespect your fiancé."

Hanuman shattered, "What are you talking about? You are my fiancé." Suvanna blinked a few times trying to comprehend what prince Hanuman had just said. She didn't recall ever being proposed to, nor accepting any marriage proposal. Yet the prince sat there on his throne gloating, like he had just won the ultimate price. With a flick of his fingers, servants flocked Suvanna, adorning her with jewelry of the finest metals, silk scarves with the most intricate designs. They were like flies on honey, almost drowning Suvanna in their luxuries.

But when one servant dared to touch her seashell crown, Suvanna had enough. She shook herself lose, making her way to the throne.

"You Highness," she announced dipping in a deep bow, "I am flattered by your proposal, but I don't deserve it. I have failed saving Akuti from Ravan."

"Oh, my men are already rebuilding the bridge. My army will march the castle when its finished. Now, about our wedding-"

Even though Suvanna was about to advice the prince to attack Ravan's palace, her stomach still turned when she heard it coming from him with such disinterest. Was he aware of the danger his men were facing? How could he be speaking of a wedding, when people were about to die. "Prince Hanuman, I'm afraid you don't know what it means to marry a siren of the sea. I can't ask you to leave your people to life in the sea."

He sipped his wine, cocking an eyebrow, "Nonsense, you'll life in the castle. I can give you everything you want. Silver, gold, you name it. All I want is your heart." Chestnut eyes turned icy as they glared to her chest with a feral hunger, sending shivers down Suvanna's spine. Immobilizing her as Hanuman rose from his throne and walked up to the shivering siren.

She damned her legs for not moving as his hand glided over het back, nails scraping her skin. "I always get what I want. And you are so much better than some normal princess."

Her mind clicked as he spoke these words. Ravan's confusion, Akuti's disgust, they were all genuine. Suvanna's voice turned venomous as she glared at the prince, "Akuti is not your sister, is she?"

The grin on his face was all the conformation she needed. He had played her for a fool, and she believed ever lie he fed her. Hanuman entrapped her in his arms, forcing his lips on hers. The kiss was stinging, forcefully painful. She had been such a fool, oblivious for his true nature blacker than the devil himself. Suvanna pushed him away from her with all her strength, "You will not get what you want, not this time."

With that she ripped the jewels off her body and dove back into the river, swimming back to the safety of the sea. Where Aisha and Jasleen were waiting for her. She would have a lot to explain, and even more to do.