Part Twenty

The following morning Lúthien lay comfortably next to Thranduil while he had his arms wrapped protectively around her. He didn't sleep that night, out of fear something would happen to her. The terror he felt when she died continued to plague his thoughts. Even though she seemed to be alright now, he was afraid that her heart beat would begin to fade away again. It had been difficult for her to fall asleep, so when the sun rose high above the horizon, he didn't wake her.

The sunlight leaked through the small slits from in between the curtains and illuminated the room a bit. Thranduil looked down at her, asleep in his arms and thought about what he would've done if he had really lost her for good. Perhaps he'd die from a broken heart.

All of those thoughts were driven away when Lúthien shifted in his arms and began to mumble inaudible words. Thranduil watched as she continued attempting to speak in her sleep. He wasn't worried until tears began spilling from her eyes, she grabbed hold of his shoulder and cried out his name. She was having another nightmare, and Thranduil wasn't sure if it'd turn out as violent as the last one. Despite not knowing what to do, he wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"It's alright Lúthien, I'm here." He spoke softly and she continued to weep into his chest. "It's only a dream."

Thranduil assumed that she subconsciously knew that she was experiencing a dream because after a while, her sobs turned into sniffles and she stopped crying out his name. He prayed that it wouldn't turn into anything more than that.

Soon enough Lúthien returned to her peaceful state of being. She snoozed the hours away beside her King, as he delicately traced circles on her back with his index finger.

Later that afternoon, Lúthien began to stir and this time her eyes slowly fluttered open. She looked up to meet Thranduil's gaze, he seemed tired with dark circles beneath his eyes. It was obvious that he didn't sleep at all.

"You're awake." He breathed

"You're exhausted." Lúthien lifted her hand up to cup his cheek as she rubbed her thumb over the bag under his left eye. Thranduil leaned into her touch and placed his hand over hers.

"Lurielním, how could I rest with you sleeping so peacefully in my arms?" He replied

Lúthien glanced down and realized she was indeed being held by her King. Thranduil took her hand in his and planted a warm kiss on the inside of her wrist where he normally would. It sent shivers down her spine, causing the hair on the back of her neck to stick up and her face to flush with color.

"You look rather beautiful when you sleep." Thranduil's comment only made her blush even more, but the warmth drained from her cheeks when realized that there were tears streaming down his face

"Thranduil? What's the matter?" Lúthien asked sitting up, he simply shook his head

"Forgive me, but it would seem that I cannot steady my own heart. It's almost impossible to contain the happiness that I feel."

"There's no need to contain it Thranduil, sometimes it's a good thing to express how you feel."

"You don't think there's anything wrong with the way I'm feeling?"

"No, why would I?" She said plopping back down onto the bed

Before she knew it, Thranduil's large frame leaned over causing her body to move due to his weight sinking the mattress. He reached over, tucking the misplaced strands of Lúthien's caramel colored hair behind her ear. The feeling of his warm hand on her now cool cheek, made her heart pound like a thousand drums. And the sound of her breath catching in her throat made Thranduil hesitate momentarily. But his heart knew what it wanted, and Lúthien is what it longed for. Shortly after he lowered his face down to meet hers, the King could see in her eyes that she felt the same. Which was why he finally summoned the courage to tenderly press his lips against hers, and to his delight Lúthien accepted him. Her heart leapt with joy at his forward actions, she couldn't contain herself as she ran her fingers through Thranduil's hair. They continued the steamy kiss until the both of them were feverishly warm, stopping only to catch their breaths.