Part Twenty Seven

Lúthien remained in that dungeon for three days and three nights, refusing to eat or drink anything offered to her. She felt so disgusting but couldn't bring herself to care enough about it.

Everyone in the palace was under some enchantment, for none of them recognized her. Just like the King, everyone was destined to live a lie.

In the night, curled up against the back wall of her cell she'd dream about him. Lúthien dreamt of Thranduil's voice whispering softly in her ear and how it felt to be kissed and caressed. How it made her heart skip beats.

She cursed at herself for allowing her to remember such things. It only reminded her of she'd never have again. Sometimes Lúthien would awaken from her sleep with tears staining her face. It pissed her off more than anything.

It wasn't until the fourth day of being locked away that someone actually came to get her. A guard, who's voice triggered her memory. Elros. He stormed into her cell, throwing the gate open which resulted in a loud clang! To her credit, she didn't flinch at the sudden noise despite the fact that she had been asleep.

"Get up!" He spoke, but she refused

"Elros, remember." Was all she said

"Onna has asked for you, I am to bring you to her."

"Elros please, you know me. You saved me when I was a girl, you must remember."

Elros didn't respond again, he only entered her cell and bound her hands before leading her out. She contemplated on simply falling off of the walkway and into the water. But she knew she probably wouldn't make it very far before they caught her.

On their way up to the throne room, Lúthien passed by many familiar faces. Maids, cooks, guards none of them realized who she really was. It wasn't until they were right outside that someone actually paid attention to her.

When they arrived, Thranduil was leaving the throne room. He was again in the strange get up, not his usual tunic. But shirtless with black markings painted on his chest and face.

Even though he couldn't remember her entirely, that didn't keep him from being curious about her. She had told him that Onna would kill her is she was caught. And for a moment she seemed afraid, but after she realized that the King she knew was gone, what more did she have to lose?

Elros nudged her past Thranduil, Lúthien didn't bother looking over at him. She mentally prepared herself for the pain Onna would inflict on her. But the King grabbed hold of her arm.

"I'll take over from here." Thranduil said, Elros just glared at him "By order of the Queen." Lúthien shuddered

Elros yielded, allowing Thranduil to take over. She wanted to vomit and the feel of his grip on her arm. He was no longer the Thranduil she'd come to love. His touch felt foreign, and wen he walked her to the throne she could tell that there was something he wanted to say.

Little did she know that ever since the King found her in his chambers, he couldn't stop thinking about her. She peaked his interest despite knowing absolutely nothing about her.
There was a wild fire in her eyes that his curiosity just couldn't ignore.

As they walked through the threshold, Lúthien's heart began to pound so profoundly that she could hear it. She didn't want to even entertain the thought but...Thranduil must have noticed the change. His grip on Lúthien loosened a bit, his calluses gently brushed against her skin.

She could easily knock him off his feet and throw him over the edge of the walkway. Lúthien so badly wanted to be free, but deep down she knew that this was bigger than just her and Thranduil. So she willed her heart to be still.