Twenty Six

Lúthien waited eagerly for Abraxsis's return, just a few hours before hand he had taken the form of a field mouse and slipped beneath the door.

He agreed to scan the palace to see if there was anything to pick up on, and maybe if Thranduil was still here.

The fighting outside had stopped entirely. Onna presumably called off her glass soldiers, probably because she had finally seized control over the palace. People were frantic out there, either injured or tending to the injured. Nobody had seen where the King had gone.

How was this even possible? The only way someone or something could've infiltrated...was if that someone or something had already been here the whole time. Before the shield, before all of it.

Lúthien rubbed her temples as she sat in the threshold of the secret door inside the wardrobe. She wanted to be able to have a means of escape, should anyone come wandering into the room. Despite it being locked, she didn't want to take that chance.

It had been a few hours before Lúthien heard little squeaks coming from outside the wardrobe. And besides she knew it, Abraxsis had shifted into his human form. It was difficult to say anything concerning Thranduil, she didn't want to give herself false hope.

So she simply said, "Anything?"

"Onna sits on the throne...but there's something else."

"Well...? What is it?"

"It's Thranduil." Her heart skipped a beat

"Okay and what? He's alright?"

"He sits beside her."

"Damn."

"She must have him under some enchantment because he sits on a throne next to her but he's different."

"Different how?"

"He's only dressed in pants and he's completely exposed from the waist up. The King is painted with all these strange markings on his chest, back and arms. And his crown...he does not wear it. Onna does."

"What about security, what is the patrol like? Is there anyway to get into the throne room?"

"It's possible, but it'd require something big."

"Like a diversion."

"Yeah, I don't know but..."

"I can cause a distraction, I could shift into something pretty big."

"I know but then that'd risk you getting caught."

"Isn't this whole rescue a risk?"

"It is, but you know what I mean. I can't afford for you to be caught."

"Maybe we don't need to get into the throne room.."

"What?"

"The King's bedroom is across the hall. There has to be another way in."

"I've never seen the secret door to his chambers. But I'm sure that there's at least a few." She said standing up "Come on, let's go check."

*+*

One of the passageways that lead to the King's chambers was a secret door behind a bookshelf. It opened and closed like a real door.

Lúthien went in first to investigate, leaving Abraxsis in mouse form just incase. His room was dark and musty, the curtains were closed and his balcony doors hadn't been opened in a while. She checked the washroom and his office...nothing.