Chapter 16: Cookies

Jungkook's POV

To say Jungkook was not excited at all was an understatement. 

Baking seemed....not his thing? He'd rather play a game of football or some Overwatch rather than spend his time in the kitchen. The kitchen was for his house's maids, not himself. That was just the way he was raised. 

"Now, everyone, find a kitchen an a partner!" Mrs. Heins called from her spot at the teacher's desk as the boys all paired up to find kitchen's. 

It was originally going to be Taehyung and Jimin together, since the two of them were best friends but Namjoon insisted he wanted to adapt to the two of them, so why not pair up with one of them. Jimin volunteered, knowing Taehyung was always the more reluctant one to hang out with others. 

Yoongi and Hoseok went together since they were dating, the two of them grinning ear to ear as they laughed at each other's jokes. 

That left Jungkook and Taehyung to stand in their own kitchen, now partners as well. 

"I've never baked before." Jungkook broke their silence first, scratching the back of his neck as he got closer to Taehyung, who was leaning against one of the counters. 

"I haven't baked since I was really little." Taehyung agreed, smiling. Though Jungkook caught a quick glint of something in the other boy's eyes. Was it....sadness? Maybe he just missed the good old days of being so young. That was all Jungkook could assume anyways. 

"Okay!" Mrs. Heins clapped her hands together and strode into the centre of all the kitchens, holding recipe cards for each group. "There will be a few rules before we start. My gir- I mean friend does not like when you leave hair lying around in her cooking space, so I beg that you put your hair back if it's long." 

Taehyung borrowed an elastic band from Mrs. Heins to put his extra long strands of hair in a small ponytail, his dark hair coming back to fully reveal his handsome face. Jungkook felt his eyes rest on the boy for just a little longer than normal, but he didn't think much of it. 

"I also ask that you take off sweaters, just so you don't get anything else dirty or accidentally drop any sort of lint or hair from the clothing into what you're making." Mrs. Heins said and almost all the boys groaned as they all had to slip off their sweaters. Well, everyone but Taehyung. 

Taehyung had only a t-shirt underneath his own black sweater and he didn't want anyone to see his arms. He just stood there, uncomfortable and not sure what to do. 

His eyes met the dark ones of Mrs. Heins and he began to bear a cold sweat. He really did not want to show his arms. All the bruises and scars would be exposed.

"Any problem Mr. Kim?" She asked, recalling his name from the time she had to wake him up just at the beginning of his detention. 

"I- I- Uh....Can I please keep my sweater?" He asked, subconsciously hugged his hands close to his chest, a small habit he did when he got nervous at times. She sighed, about to disagree before she saw the pleading eyes and was reminded of someone else. Instead she just nodded in understanding before turning towards Yoongi and Hoseok's kitchen to talk with them. 

Taehyung made a mental note to thank the middle aged woman later. 

"Please don't use anything unnecessary. Waste any of her ingredients and I'll be in trouble." Her cheeks heated up when she giggled, but none of them noticed. 

"And...I guess just use common sense. Don't be stupid. Here's your cards. Don't burn the school down, I beg you." With that, she handed out bright coloured recipe cards with handwritten ingredients on it.