37

"Logan I'm calling because I need to set things straight. I need to set things in place before I come back because when I do return it's not going to be the same."

"You shouldn't be calling me right now. Not now." He cuts me off from saying anything else and feel my spirits drop.

"I'm pregnant." I shout back before he can hang up and that's when he goes silent.

"With who?"

"With Bastian."

"You guys mated?" He asks and I laugh slightly at his stupid voice.

"The day we got back and ultimately the day I left. Logan I left because of what he said that day not because of everything going on. He told me you were in love with me."

"Well he's not wrong. I do love you and yes I'm in love with you. Its hard to not be attracted to you, but I'm in love with your attitude and your personality. You're a strong person who doesn't give herself enough credit. But I'm not in love with you in a sense that I want to date you or be with you. I think you're stunning and an incredible girl. I wanna protect you and be there for you because that's my job. That's why I watch after you so much and that's why I'm so protective. You're the one person in this pack I am supposed to take care of and sometimes the line gets blurred and I'm sorry for that." He explains and I feel a sense of relief that it isn't what everyone has made it out to be.

"As for you being pregnant I'm excited for Bash but I have a feeling you aren't as happy as he might be."

"Cause I don't want to be pregnant. I'm not ready to be a mother let along the mother of a future Alpha. I really don't want to be pregnant with his kid either right now. He owes me an apology for telling me to leave him right after sex and he owes me an apology for telling me that you're in love with me. That was out of line and he should not have done that."

"Well you're gonna come back right?" He asks and I stay silent before finding the words necessary. If I go back I don't know what I'll feel but if I stay I'll be going through this alone without a mate.

"I don't want to return but I know that if I don't that I will be forcibly dragged to the pack against my will because I am carrying his future son or daughter."

"I won't tell him Jenifer."

"What do you mean you won't tell him? You're his Beta if you don't tell him you'll be killed or fired or something you don't want." My eyes widen at the concept of him not telling Bash. It's bad enough I haven't said anything, but if he doesn't mention it, that'll be the icing on his funeral cake.

"I will give you one year. One year away from this bullshit. That's when I come get you and bring you back." He offers.

"Logan I can't ask you to do that."

"Well you're not asking me to do anything. I'm giving you one year. He's so out of it he wouldn't know if I sent money your way and if you stayed at the Vancouver apartment. He's too focused on the rogue problem on the boarder."

"One year is a bit dramatic isn't it?"

"Right now you have to focus on you. Have your brother bring you to the apartment, I'll see you soon."

"What are you hiding from me?" I ask. "This isn't rational and this plan your giving me isn't normal. You'd usually be convincing me to forgive him and to come home. You should be telling me to come home. Logan why aren't you telling me to come home?"

He stays quiet and I can feel the tension building over this line. He's hiding something big and I know it's much bigger than I can handle myself based on the lack of response.

"Sebastian is on a downward spiral. That's what I'm hiding you from."

"But what about the part where I can stop this. I'm having his child and he doesn't know. His spiral could stop if he knew he had an hier." My stance on everything starts to change as I realize I need to go back home. I need to let him know it's going to be fine even if I think I'm not ready.

"It's not that kinda spiral anymore. The test came back that curse broke, so it's no longer a problem. It's the drinking that's the problem."

"He needs to learn how to deal with shit. He needs to learn how to deal with things not going well." He adds.

"He's gonna hate us and he's gonna assume that this kid is yours if I run off." I argue.

"Either way you can't come back now. This is going south quicker then you'd expect."

"Who is taking care of him? Promise me someone is taking care of him."

"We all are. Just take care of yourself and the baby please. For me and for him."

"I love you, okay, so please take care of yourself and that baby." He repeats and I take a deep breath as some tears start to spill over.

"Yes of course I will. I'll see you soon." I pull the phone away from my ear quickly and I hang up before he can hear my cries.

I'm supposed to be strong right now when my mate is spiraling out of control and is now dependent on alcohol. I'm supposed to be strong when I'm carrying a future alpha.

This has got to be some twisted joke.

But it's not. It's just my life.