18

Alexis could barely make out mutters from the next room. But she didn't have to wonder for long. Rose walked back in with Elijah. He looked at Elena, and rushed over to her. He sniffed her.
"Human. It's impossible." He observed.
"Hello there."
"I heard you were supposedly noble and well mannered. Never heard you were a creep." Alexis pulled Elena away from him, and behind her.
"And who might you be?"
"She's no one. She just happened to be there when we acquired the doppelgänger. She seems to know a lot about you originals, though." Rose informed.
"Is that so?"
"Suck up." Alexis scowled. "And what are you talking about, 'acquired'? She's a human being, not some sort of rare find."
"Who are you?"
"None of your business."
"What exactly is it that you know about us?"
"Wouldn't you like to know?" She said casually looking at her nails.
"Who are you?"
"Doesn't anyone understand that I won't say by now?" She scoffed.
"Why not?"
"Because that's my advantage. I know everything about you. Not that there is much to know. Original vamp, obsessed with suits and family. That about it? You knowing absolutely nothing about me is valuable." She shrugged, again.
"We have a long journey head of us. We should be going." Elijah said. Elena looked at Rose.
"Please, don't let him take me."
"One last piece of business and we're done." He walked towards Trevor.
"I've waited so long for this day, Elijah. I'm truly, very sorry."
"Oh no, your apology's not necessary."
"Yes, yes it is. You trusted me with Katerina and I failed you."
"Oh yes, you are the guilty one and Rose aided you because she was loyal to you and that now I honor. Where was your loyalty?"
"I beg your forgiveness."
"So granted." Trevor smiled gratefully before Elijah smacked his head off. Alexis and Elena gasped, as some blood reached Alexis.
"Oh my god!" She flinched. Elena looked at her and tried to wipe away the blood. The younger girl had always seemed so strong, as though nothing could touch her, but seeing her now, she looked like an ordinary kid, who'd seen something horrible.
"Hey, hey. Lex. Lex. Alexis!" She finally got her attention. Alexis looked so small and freaked out.
"No wonder you're all alone." Alexis managed to get out. "You really are a psychopath."
"What are you talking about?" Elijah glared.
"Like I said. I know everything about you and your family. Including the brother you drove away." She said, defiantly.
"Come." He demanded. "You're both coming with me."
"No, what about the moonstone?"
"Elena!" Alexis hissed.
"What do you know about the moonstone?"
"I know that you need it and I know where it is."
"Yes?"
"I can help you get it."
"Elena, no!" Alexis tried to quieten her.
"Tell me where it is." Elijah said.
"It doesn't work that way."
"Are you negotiating with me?" He looked at Rose.
"It's the first I've heard of it." He tried to compel Elena but it didn't work. He looked at her necklace.
"What is this vervain doing around your neck?" He pulled the necklace off her neck and threw it away. He grabbed her head and compelled her. "Tell me where the moonstone is."
"In the tomb, underneath the church ruins."
"What is it doing there?"
"It's with Katherine."
"Interesting." Suddenly a figure sped into the room and snatched Alexis and sped her out. He moved too fast for anyone to see. There was silence, and Elijah looked around.
"Who else is here?" Elijah asked Rose.
"I don't know." She said.
"Rose." He said.
"I don't know!" She repeated.
"Excuse me. To whom it may concern, you're making a great mistake if you think that you can beat me. You can't. Do you hear that?" Elijah said.
"I wouldn't be too sure." Arkyn sped back inside, stopping in front of Elena. "Elijah. Heard you've been looking for me."
"Ark-" Elena started.
"Are you okay?" He cut her off. She nodded. "Good. Now please. Go outside. Xavier will take you and Alexis home. Okay?"
"What about you?"
"It's been a while. I reckon it's about time Elijah and I had a chat."
"Three centuries, if I recall correctly. I'd say a chat is long overdue, little brother."
"Little brother?" Elena jerked in surprise.
"Yes. Now go." He said, impatiently.
"Okay." There was a smashing noise downstairs.
"That'll be your friends, Elena." Arkyn pointed out. "Do assure them that you'll be okay." She nodded and left.
"So you've been in Mystic Falls?"
"I figured it'd be the last place you'd look for me."
"You knew the doppelgänger was here?" Elijah and Arkyn nodded.
"Figured it out soon enough."
"And you didn't think to try send a message?"
"And doom her life? Wherever you or Klaus go, destruction follows. I won't let you do that to our home. The people who live here are good." Stefan and Damon sped into the room.
"Elena says he's your brother?"
"Only in name." Arkyn scowled. "You two should leave. I can take care of him."
"Nah, we'll help." Damon drawled.
"Suit yourselves. I won't be responsible if you get yourselves killed."
"Noted." Stefan nodded.
"How adorable." Elijah remarked. "I hadn't realised my baby brother made some friends."
"Just because you lack the social ability to do so, doesn't mean the rest of us do." Arkyn glared.
"I see your animosity towards family has only grown in the past few centuries."
"You know very well we all stopped being family the night we turned."
"No. You decided you weren't family anymore. The rest of us tried while you judged us and hated us." Arkyn scoffed, rolling his eyes.
"You'd like to believe that wouldn't you." He scowled. "Let's just get this over with."
"You don't truly believe you can hurt me, do you?"
"I can, and I will." Arkyn sped at his brother throwing him back. Elijah stood up and dusted himself off.
"Little brother." Within a second, Elijah was holding Arkyn against the wall by his throat. "You still have a lot to learn." Arkyn growled, and shoved his brother back. Stefan tried to shoot a stake at Elijah, but slightly missed and Arkyn had to grab it to prevent himself being staked.
"Couldn't you just, for once, live your life. Does everything you do have to link back to Klaus?"
"I'm not doing this for him."
"I'm well aware. What happened? You finally stop believing in him?"
"At least I tried."
"Is that what you call trying? Coddling him and cleaning up after his mistakes?"
"Family. Always and Forever." Elijah shouted at him.
"That was your pact. It was never mine." Arkyn used the stake he caught from Stefan and sped at Elijah shoving it into his heart, before he could expect it. Elijah desiccated before his eyes, and he pulled himself off his brother and turned to the Salvatores. "I believe it's time for you to leave."
"Ark-" Stefan started.
"I'll take care of him." Arkyn said. He knew he should probably tell them Elijah wasn't really dead, but he couldn't bring himself to. And he wanted to talk to Elijah privately.