35

Xavier didn't give up. After he left Bonnie's he went to the Salvatore Boarding house. He rang the doorbell and Damon answered.
"Take a ride?" He asked, fully aware Katherine might overhear them if he made his case there. Damon raised his brow, but followed him to his car. Once they were alone, out of earshot, Xavier parked his car.

"What do you want?" Damon asked.
"I want in." He said simply.
"You want in? In what?"
"Taking down Klaus."
"No thanks."
"Look, Klaus took a lot from us. Lex and I want to get even."
"I don't believe you. You're working for Arkyn, and he wants nothing to do with all this."
"Yeah, well I got more information tonight. And you guys could use all the witches you can get. We don't work for Ark. He's family. And I don't care much to sit back and watch you all get yourselves killed. He cares about Bonnie, and I don't want Klaus taking any more from Ark. So Lex and I are both powerful witches, and you guys could use all the power you can get if you want to take down an Original, especially one who's immune to silver."
"What information?" Damon asked.
"It's personal."
"I don't trust you. Why should I let you help me out."
"I found out that Klaus murdered relatives of mine. How about that? Coupled with the fact that any time he gets the chance he ruins any hope Ark may have at happiness. So I wanna stop Klaus before he gets the chance to get to Ark."
"And Ark'll like that?"
"I'd prefer he didn't know. Last time he tried to protect a doppelganger it didn't work out so well."
"Well, thanks but no thanks. I don't work with people I don't trust."
"Look, I don't like you, but you're going up against Klaus. You need all the help you can get. You want to say no, fine, but when you all inevitably end up dead, I'll be sure to write I told you so on your grave." Xavier rolled his eyes.
"You're willing to risk your life to save someone you don't even know?"
"Well my sister is dating Jeremy, and Ark's with Bonnie. I don't want the people I care about to lose the people they care about. So yeah, I'm willing to risk my life. Besides, it's about time Klaus went down."
"Alright fine." Damon said. "You want in? Alright. We could always use two more witches."
"I'm a warlock." Xavier snapped. "But be careful when telling Bonnie."
"Why?"
"She doesn't really want Lex and I helping out."
"Elaborate." Damon rolled his eyes.
"We'd be risking our lives which is pretty much the reason Ark's staying out."
"Alright, take me home. I'll reach out to you tomorrow." Damon said, and Xavier turned the car around.

"Where have you been?" Arkyn asked, once Xavier walked in.
"Just out for a walk." He shrugged. Arkyn gestured at the seat next to him. Xavier sat down tentatively. "I thought we already had the heart to heart today."
"Funny." Arkyn rolled his eyes.
"What is it?"
"So Klaus is on his way into town. I don't know when, but I know it's soon." He said. "So will you listen to me for once and take Lex out of town?"
"We're not running. You taught us to stand our ground."
"Pretty sure I also taught you to pick and choose your fights. Listen to me. Klaus is deadly. He will kill you if he finds out who you are, and I can't lose you."
"We're not leaving. We're seeing this through, Ark."
"Xave-"
"I know you want to keep us safe, Ark, but we're not kids anymore."
"Xavier, it's my job to always worry about you no matter how old you get. I'm never going to stop."
"I know, but we worry about you too. You're so focused on everyone else, you have no one looking out for you."
"You and Lex being safe and alive is all I need. If anything happened to either of you, it'd kill me."
"We'll look out for ourselves." Xavier stared Arkyn in the eyes. "Like we've always done."
"It's Klaus, Xavier. It's not any random vampire or some idiotic threat. He's unkillable."
"Look, Lex really likes that Gilbert boy, you're in love with Bonnie. So we're not leaving. Period."
"Oh god, you're difficult." Arkyn sighed.
"Yeah, well, you taught me that too." Xavier folded his arms.
"I can't lose you guys."
"Then help them take down Klaus. We'll help them fortify their plans. It'll make the world a safer place." He tried.
"Xavier, I can't. It would never work. Klaus- he's a snake. He'll manage to slip out of your grasp and live to see another day. And if he sees me choosing a doppelgänger over him... again? He won't stop at Elena. He'll burn the whole town down."
"Ark, I'd rather die trying to kill him than to just watch him break you down more."
"Well it's not up to you, now, is it? You are not going up against Klaus."
"What if-"
"No what ifs. Breaking his curse is all he's dreamed about for centuries. You will not stand between him and Elena because he will kill you. I will not allow you to get yourself killed."
"What would mom do?"
"Don't you dare, Xavier. Your mother would never let you anywhere near him."
"Maybe not, but she'd risk her own life, to help Elena and Bonnie and the Salvatores."
"I guess we'll never find out." Arkyn shrugged and stood. He poured himself a glass of bourbon and finished it in one gulp.
"Ark-"
"I'm kinda tired. I'll head to bed." He said, and walked away. He stopped before leaving the room. "I mean it, Xave. Stay away from all things Klaus."