43

The next night was the full moon. Arkyn went to Xavier and Alexis to spend time with them. He wished he could just forbid them from leaving the house, or ban them from helping, but he knew he couldn't. Especially not since Alexis held half the power Bonnie needed. He hated that they integrated themselves into the Klaus problem. Klaus wouldn't die. He just knew it, which meant he'd be gunning for Xavier and Alexis and Bonnie. Arkyn wasn't sure he could protect them all from Klaus's wrath. The night came sooner than he cared for. He followed them to the clearing, staying hidden from them. He knew he'd intervene if he had to. If it came down to it, he'd choose his children over Klaus.

"No! You were dead!" Klaus yelled as Bonnie appeared chanting. Alexis came out, following her, strengthening Bonnie's spell. He didn't take his eyes off Klaus, not even when Damon took Elena's body. He flinched as Klaus's body contorted, falling onto the ground. Elijah then appeared. The girls stopped chanting, and Xavier pushed them behind him. Klaus looked up and saw his brother. "Elijah." He said.
"In the name of our family, Niklaus..." He said, his arm around Klaus's heart. Arkyn had to use his ears to listen in. He rolled his eyes at Elijah's dramatics.
"I didn't bury them at sea!" Klaus said, frantically. Elijah paused.
"What?"
"Their bodies are safe. If you kill me, you'll never find them." Klaus said.
"Elijah! Don't listen to him." Stefan tried to convince the original.
"Elijah. I can take you to them. I give you my word." Klaus said, "Brother." Arkyn almost scoffed. There was no way Elijah would actually finish the deed.
"Do it and we'll take you both out." Alexis said furiously.
"You'll die." Elijah said.
"I don't care." Bonnie narrowed her eyes.
"My brother does. I'm sorry." Elijah said, before jumping away, with Klaus.
"No!" Stefan yelled, but they were gone. Arkyn stayed in his position. They were safe. Xavier and Alexis were safe. Bonnie was safe. That's really all he cared about. He was sure Elena was alive. Bonnie wouldn't have allowed the ritual to have come this far if she didn't have a plan. She had gone home with Xavier, although Alexis had gone to the Gilberts' to comfort Jeremy and Arkyn followed Xavier and Bonnie home from behind, keeping his distance and looking after them.

"You were there." Bonnie accused as Arkyn walked into the room. Arkyn had gone into the house a few minutes after them.
"Yes." He replied.
"I didn't think you wanted anything to do with it."
"I just wanted to make sure you guys would be okay." He replied.
"You were right. We couldn't kill Klaus."
"It was never a lack of faith in you. Elijah was always a wild card. Klaus holds our siblings over him. And Elijah cares too much about Rebekah to ever give up on her."
"Do you think Klaus will give your siblings over?"
"Never." Arkyn shook his head. "He's not known for keeping his promises like Elijah. He was frightened. Found that he could actually die and would have said anything to get out of it."
"So Elijah helped him for nothing?" Arkyn nodded.
"Give me a second. I have to go check on Xavier."
"Of course." Bonnie nodded. Arkyn sped up to his room.
"I'm sorry." Xavier said, noticing Arkyn. "Not for trying to kill Klaus, but for failing."
"Xavier-"
"Klaus took so much away from you, and I- we just didn't want him to take any more. We didn't want him to win."
"He's Klaus Mikaelson. He always wins. He always has an ace up his sleeve- always has another option."
"It's not fair that he always wins. Someone needs to knock him down a peg."
"Well it won't be by you. Xavier, you and Alexis can't be involved in anything to do with Klaus. Ever again."
"That's not up to you."
"Yes." Arkyn said. "It is up to me. Now get some rest. We'll finish this talk when Alexis gets here." He turned to leave but turned around. "I'm happy you're okay, Xavier."

Arkyn headed back down to his waiting girlfriend.
"They care about you." She said, as he sat down, obviously upset.
"I know."
"They just want to protect you."
"They're not supposed to. It's supposed to be the other way around. I'm supposed to take care of them. Keep them safe, you know. I'm their- they're my-"
"They're your kids." She said, and he looked at her. "I get it, well not really because I've never been a parent, but I get what you're trying to say."
"I don't want to lose them. I can't lose them. Especially not after-"
"Their mom?" She asked and he nodded.
"I don't want to fail them."
"You won't." She said. "And you didn't fail her. Tell me about her."
"Aly?" He asked.
"Yeah."
"She was the most compassionate girl you could ever meet." He started. "She was kind and loyal, fierce in her love and what she believed in. She was a kid when I met her, and she never let me leave her behind. A bit like you." He laughed and Bonnie mock glared at him. "She married Xavier and Alexis's dad when she was nineteen. Her dad died when she was young so she asked me to give her away. She was so happy."
"What happened to him?"
"When Lex was one, he left and never came back. He and Aly started having problems when Lex was born. Then he got offered a huge job in Washington. Aly didn't want to move and he took the job without telling her. Then he just packed his bags and left."
"What a douchebag."
"She was devastated but she was a strong woman. She didn't let it define her. She was trying to keep strong for Xave and Lex."