t w e l v e

VERA AND PENELOPE were so different yet so alike at the same time

VERA AND PENELOPE were so different yet so alike at the same time. While Vera had dark curly hair and a beautiful golden compelxion, Penelope had her fiery long locks and gorgeous pale skin. The contrast was so interesting on the canvas.

They were both excited to pose for me when I asked them and they were doing a great job as they nonchalantly laid in the positions I had straigically placed them in. The art room was thankfully empty, allowing us to gossip on everything that had happened over the past week in the ever so scandalous Caldwell Academy.

"Sully is probably regretting accepting you here instead of letting you go to juvie" Vera scoffs as she leans elegantly on the arm of the antique chaise that Miss Rowan had in the art room, "I can't believe you actually jumped into the lake in your underwear."

"Yeah, that was so badass." Penn scoffs as she lays down the other end of the chaise lounge.

I roll my eyes and continue concentrating on the lights and shadows of Vera's skin tone, "Yeah, well I have detention for two weeks so it's not that great. I knew that was going to happen anyway. Chase just pisses me off so much that I don't even think."

"You're probably the only girl who isn't afraid to stand up to him." Penn points out as I glance at her over the top of the white canvas leaning against my wooden easel.

"Well that's because every other girl is too preoccupied with sleeping with him." I retort, "Some nights he doesn't even come back to the dorm until three in the morning. It isn't rocket science to figure out where he's been."

"I don't think it's just the girls." Vera mumbles and I pause my paint brush mere inches from the canvas and glance at her, "He's into some pretty shady shit too."

"What shady shit?" I question, my curiosity getting the better of me, like it always does.

"My ex-boyfriend use to tell me how Chase would always show up to class with busted lips and bruised knuckles even when there hasn't been any fights on school campus." Vera explain and my brain progresses it slowly. I then nod my head in understanding as I connect the dots.

"Well that would explain the bruises I see." I explain with a small shrug before returning to painting, "I just assumed he punched himself in his sleep. I would not be surprised."

"Do you know what he did to get in?" Penn question curiously as she glances at me. I shake my head and mix a few paint colours together on my palette, "He scares the shit out of me."

"We know." I chuckle at her.

"Apparently it was really bad." Vera explains as we glance at her curiosuly once more. She then shrugs, "It's probably just rumours. For all we know he could've run over a kitten."

"I've done that." Penelope holds up a manicured french tip, "Bare in mind that I was drunk and cried for two hours afterwards before giving it a little funeral in my backyard."