n i n e t e e n

I HADN'T REALISED that I had not left my dorm room at all for the entire day, the entire day being literally four hours, until the sun started setting

I HADN'T REALISED that I had not left my dorm room at all for the entire day, the entire day being literally four hours, until the sun started setting. After Noah and Levi finally left, I fell asleep hugging the half empty popcorn bowl and woke up to my room on fire. 

Not actually on fire, but I thought it was when I opened my eyes and saw the blaze of orange and red light. Turns out that, after screaming my damn lungs out, it was just the setting sun rays flooding through the glass panes of the window. 

After stretching out my tired limbs and tying on a pair of white, worn converse I left my dorm room for some fresh air. It was cold when I pushed through the doors out into the open and I only then realised, after walking down three flights of stairs, that I had forgotten a jacket. I would've gone back up for one if the elevator wasn't broken. 

Some idiots tried to fit as many people as they could into the elevator and subsequently broke it. Noah informed me that this type of stupid shit was not unusual in Elwood Hall and I wasn't surprised in the slightest. 

The school grounds were fairly quiet, with a few students returning from their adventures out of school. I glance aimlessly at the path that lead to the student parking lot to see a group of girls giggling as they appear around the corner of the building. But my eyes were more focused on the person behind them. 

Chase was staring down at his phone in one hand and the other carried a large white box that instantly grabbed my attention. As if feeling my eyes on him, he glances up and a small smile spreads across his lips. He slips his phone into his pocket as he nears me. 

"Who's that for?" I question, locking my hands behind my back as I glance at the box. 

Chase scoffs, "Who do you think? You've been complaining about craving pizza since you woke up." 

"Wow, you actually listened to me. It's a damn miracle." I clap my hands excitedly as my stomach rumbles loudly, "Ooh, I know the best place to eat this." 

"In our room...with a tv and a heater?" Chase frowns curiously at me as I roll my eyes and grab one of his hands. 

I begin walking in the opposite direction of Elwood, gently pulling Chase by his hand,   "Just trust me." 

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea." Chase retorts from behind me but I ignore him. I was too busy focusing on the fact that I was willingly touching Chase, and holding his damn hand no less. What the hell has possessed me?

I walk around to the back of the gymnasium and Chase pauses. He glances from me, to the ladder, to the top of the ladder, and back to me. 

He points, "Up there?"   

"No, we're going to dig our way under the building" I retort sarcastically before climbing up the rusted ladder. I throw my legs over the concrete wall and land safely on the surface of the rooftop. Chase follows after, juggling the pizza box with one hand. I take it off him as he manoeuvres himself off the ladder.