s i x t y s i x

A/N: Last chapter. Are you guys ready to cry with me?

 Are you guys ready to cry with me?

WE MADE IT. 

Despite the odds, the universe, all the drama and despite everything else, we actually fucking did it. I stare down at the dark crimson robe and rolled up paper in my hand just waiting for them to disappear and be replaced with handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit. 

I stood at the edge of the rose garden—which was technically a thorn garden as there were more thorns than actual roses. Staring down at the tips of my nude heels, my mind slowly relayed the events of the past couple of crazy months. 

We had stayed in the little cottage outside of Seattle for two and half weeks following mine and Chase's release from the hospital. It felt so damn short though and when it came to the last night, I felt the urge to decapitate  myself with a butter knife at the realisation that I would be returning come the next morning. 

But I feel that urge every night before a school day so it wasn't news. 

I guess it went quicker because I was sleeping most of the time, and when I wasn't sleeping I was having interviewers with police, my therapist, psychologist and my lawyer. About a week after I had left the hospital, we got news that Luke was rejecting any offered plea deal and we were going to trial. 

The trial was traumatising to say the least, seeing Luke up on the stand still adamant about the fact that he loved me. I broke down in the very fancy ladies bathroom during a lunch break one day. Chase had found me and I tried to brush it off, saying I was upset about the fact that I had never seen such beautiful hand soap before but he knew I wasn't. Chase could always see right through me, ever since I met him.

Luke's lawyer pleaded insanity and after three gruelling days of trial, Luke was sentenced as an adult to seventeen years in prison for kidnapping and an extra fifteen years for harbouring a illegal weapon as well as shooting it at someone with the intent to kill. It wasn't life, but it was something.

Even as Luke was being led out of the courtroom, he was still shouting that he loved me. I think it's going to take a while until those screams are gone from my mind. 

When Chase and I arrived back through the gates of Caldwell, it was utter chaos. News reporters, vans and just nosy citizens swarmed the campus of Caldwell. the security managed to ward them out of the gates, but they still stayed there. The students were just as invasive as they were, asking me all these questions and staring at me. 

All the guys in Elwood were  real life savers and those who I had classes would scared off the other students. Headmaster Sullivan was being hounded for answers as well and I would often be called to his office. Somehow, one of the reporters snuck inside Elwood Hall and as I left Chase's dorm room to shower, one of them popped up with a camera and I broke his nose with my toiletries bag. Safe to say, no other reporter has tried that yet.