f i f t y

"AFTER LUNCH WILL be the final races of the day; the team relays!" The voice announces over the loudspeakers as most of the crowd exit the large building and head for the dining hall

The crowd on the stand depletes and the boisterous noise decreases. I throw my towel over my shoulder and run my fingers through my unruly wet hair as students walk by, saying their congratulations. I smile at them as I stand back, watching a group of students getting chastised by a teacher for throwing popcorn into the pool. I smile at the hilarious scene.

My attention is shortly broken by my stomach making the decision to reenact the sound of a mother whale in labour.

"Wow, that could be heard on the other side of the room. Someone must be hungry."

I glance up, watching as Luke make his way towards me with a easy grin. He was wearing the long parka, the one I had shed long ago and may have forgotten the place that I had left it.

"Do you wanna go grab some lunch? We could probably steal a few things from the visitor's table if we leave now." He explains while thrusting a thumb over and in the direction of the dining hall. I stand up a little straighter and fold my arms.

"I can't swim with a full stomach so I'd rather not throw up in the pool in front of the entire school." I reply as Luke chuckles, moving out of the way as two teachers walk past.

Luke then sighs and runs a hand through his wet blonde hair, "Well, I'm sure it'd give those spoilt bitches more to complain about."

"True..." I laugh awkwardly as Chase's story from the night in David's kitchen echoes through my head. "They literally hate everything and everyone here and I think the feelings mutual."

"Well, I wouldn't say everyone." Luke murmurs before his blue eyes travel over my shoulder. I follow his gaze, noticing Chase had been stopped at the end of the pool and was being chatted up by a girl from Vanderbilt. The same girl who had winked at me earlier in the day. She was twirling her long ponytail around her fingers as she smiled widely up at my boyfriend.

My jaw clenches at the sight, but I don't let anything else show. Instead, I turn back to Luke only to notice him watching me, as if trying to gouge my reaction. To throw him off, I give him a tight smile.

"That's Everett though. Fuck boy extraordinaire ." I shrug casually but the words tasted like vinegar in my mouth, "Hey, I need to go to the locker rooms so you should probably just head to the dining hall without me."

"I'll save a seat for you in case you change your mind." Luke grins at me and I smile back at him sheepishly before turning on my heels and heading towards the adjacent girls locker room.

Chase, who had by then left his new friend, was making his way towards me with a grin plastered across his face and his hands in the pockets of his black denim jacket.
"What did fuckface want?" He scoffs as we near each other. He stops, but I don't. My eyes slip off him and over his shoulder as I walk past him. I don't get far, though, because Chases manages to grab a hold of my wrist with his lighting fast reflexes. "Hey, what's wrong?"
"Nothing." I glance over my shoulder at him, feeling Chase's gip loosen and the pad of his thumb begins to caress my skin, "I need to go."