nine

After the whole Marcus situation, I headed inside and sat down on my old trusty couch, which was actually really uncomfortable. The fabric was tearing in some places, exposing the somewhat scratchy yellow colored fluff inside. I felt like a hobo compared to the leather couch I caught a glimpse of inside Marcus's place.
The children next door were playing some sort of music with a repetitive beat. Quite annoying, but I dealed with it. My phone was plugged into the charger so I picked it up, dialing Elana.

"Hello?" She answered.
"Guess what? I think Marcus just brought home a prostitute or something," I said with whole hearted confidence.
On the other line, Elana started laughing hysterically, "Ari, is that even a thing anymore?" She could barely talk between laughing and snorting.
"I'm being serious, Elana. He brought home a slutty looking friend. I don't know what his deal is. Plus, this morning he made me breakfast and everything. I noticed his book bag which had a huge wad of cash sticking out," I was being serious, even though she took it all in as a joke.
"Oh! Oh! I get it now!" Elana exclaimed on the other end. All I could imagine was her jumping up and down in her seat, wide eyed like an owl. "He's a sugar daddy!" Once again, Elana laughed. I smirked in response, running my hand over my face, "Shut up. I'm going now. Besides, I think prostitutes are still a pretty big deal, especially down town."
I removed the phone from my ear, looking down at the call screen. This panned out to be a huge waste of time. I listened to her whine and beg to stay on the phone before I pressed the 'End Call' button. Her voice quickly subsided.

No texts from Marcus. Usually the bulk of our texting happened at this time, but I guess not tonight. Obviously not tonight. He was too busy doing whatever with whoever. I did, however, receive some texts from my mom. It was the usual 'I miss you" deal, in which I usually responded 'you too.'
My body mustered up the energy to get up and switch the light off, closing the curtains to my huge and unecessary window in the living room right after. My finger bent down to hit the power button on the remote. My body flopped back onto the couch like a whale entering water for the first time in a month. A heavy sigh escaped my lips, and I stared at my phone like a message would magically appear.
Nothing.
Marcus was becoming extremely mysterious, it seemed, and I didn't exactly like it.

The morning sun started to shine bright and early. I woke up on the couch with a book slumped across my chest. My glasses were tilted on my face. Even worse, my neck and body were extremely stiff and uncomfortable. I didn't even remember falling asleep while reading, or turning the lamp on. I guess that's what happens when you have nobody to talk to.. er, choose to not talk to anybody.
I grabbed my glasses and pulled them off of my face. My eyes felt like they ran a marathon the night before.
At this point, I kind of wished Marcus would cook me breakfast because I didnt feel like doing anything.
Marcus.
I reached behind me. My hand smacked against the end table, sliding around until reaching my phone.
He sent me a message at 3AM.
It was just a bunch of random letters followed by some weird emojis.
I responsed with, 'what the hell?'

My body cracked while I stood up. I gave myself a long stretch before heading in the bathroom to wash up.
I was going to the hospital in a few days, so I decided shaving was not necessary just yet. As I was gurgling some warm water, my doorbell rang, causing me to spray the contents in my mouth across the sink and mirror like a broken hose.
Hurridly, I jogged out to the living room while wiping my mouth on the back of my hand. I'll clean it up later, I live alone anyway.
Upon my very graceful arrival at the door, I checked the peep hole and saw exactly who I thought I would see.
Marcus.
He stood tall, looking at his wrist which held his watch.
I propped open the door and he revealed his usual smile.
"Want to get breakfast with me?"
He spoke fast while placing his hands together, almost begging me. He reminded me of a lost puppy.
"I guess," I slowly and unsurly said.
Without intention, I shrugged and maybe even rolled my eyes.
"Oh, well you don't have to go," Marcus narrowed his eyebrows at my body language, chewing on the inside of his lip, "I missed you."
His word choice reminded me of Dominic. Even though Elana tells me the same thing all the time, they way he said it just reminded me of that cheating idiot.
"I'll go. Come in, I'll finish getting dressed," I motioned him to step inside with my hand, walking to the side of the door so he could get through.
What can I say, I'm a pushover.
I fully realized I was missing a shirt, wearing only boxers. The shower I had planned wasn't happening today. I hoped Marcus wouldn't mind. Who am I kidding, he doesn't mind.

"Actually, my friend stayed over last night. I hope you don't mind if she comes along," Marcus pointed outside to his car, where I spotted the brunette fixated on her phone in the passengers seat. Why the fuck would he drive here from down the street?
"No problem. I'll, uh, be out in a few," My voice stuttered as I spoke, peering at prostitute lady before fully turning around to head back to my room.

At breakfast, I sat alone on one seat while Marcus and prostitute shared the other side of the booth. I stabbed at my eggs and hasbrowns, trying to sound interested in what prostitute was saying. Marcus wouldn't stop laughing. Prostitue's voice was high and had that cheerleader in high school affect to it. Her perfume traved across the booth everytime she fixated herself, which gave me a small headache.
"So, like, how did you two become friends?"
Prostitute smiled and seemed very interested in our story, sending small glances to me and then back to Marcus.
Instead of calling her Prostitute, let's call her Brunette because of her hair color, until I actually find out her name (If I ever do, that is. Some people don't know common manners).
"Oh, well obviously from my new house," Marcus said while looking at me and brunette repeatedly. Marcus and brunette started laughing. I didn't find that answer one bit amusing, so I smirked under my breath.
I was seeing a different side of Marcus, a third side.
While brunette reached into her purse to get her phone, something shiny caught my attention in the ray of sunlight shining through the diner's blinds.
A ring.
Brunette had a ring on her finger. An engagement ring.
I tried not to look too hard. I shook my head, looking back up at Marcus to find him looking right back at me. Brunette was busy on her phone at this point.
"Zoning out," I chuckled as I spoke, forcing another forkful of food into my mouth. The diner was quiet this morning, which would have been nice if brunette wasn't here babbling on like rolling yarn.
Marcus ignored my statement, turning his attention right back to brunette after I closed my mouth.
"I'll pay, don't worry about it," Marcus said.
My posture perked upwards only to find out Marcus wasn't talking to me. He was looking at brunette. Good thing I brought my wallet with, like, 20 bucks.
The waitress came back with the bill and took our plates. I was feeling pretty ignored, not to mention annoyed and irritated. I let Marcus and brunette engage in their own little conversation. I always hated being a third wheel.
Marcus was into her.
I slapped a 20 onto the table, pushing my wallet back into my pocket. Marcus and brunette both turned their attention to me, watching as I stood up to walk out of the diner without speaking a word.
What was the point of me even coming? He missed me? Yeah right.
Outside, I lit a cigarette and sat on the curb.
Clouds were starting to roll in from what looked like the west, but was probably the south.
The smell of rain slowly became more prominent in the air.
As the door opened a few minutes later, Marcus and brunette's figures swiftly made their way in front of me like towers.
"Do you want a ride home, or no?"
My eyes stayed fixed on the pavement in front of their feet as Marcus spoke. The question aggravated me, "How else am I going to get home?" My cigarette dropped to the ground.
"That's littering," Brunette hissed. Her voice caused even more irritation that was not needed. I peered up at them both, smashing the cigarette into the pavement with my shoe.
"Okay, that's gross. Marcus, can we go?" Brunette tugged on the sleeve of Marcus's jacket, pleading.
"Yeah, we can," He softly and slowly said.
Marcus looked in my eyes when I finally peered upwards towards their bodies, and I looked back in his. Less than romantic, but I could feel some sort of despair in the way he looked.
Brunette kept a hold of his sleeve, pulling him in the general direction of the car. Marcus shrugged then turned back around to face me, symboling 'call me' with his hand. Yeah fucking right.
I ran my hands through my hair, trying to calm down. My elbows were rested on my thighs, but they were starting to get sore so I stood up, pacing in a small line.
Once again, my hands traveled down into my front pockets and I started to walk home in the morning drizzle out of a loss of anything else to do.

---

Thanks for reading! Comment/vote, I would really appreciate it!

---