nineteen

"Wake up, butthead, It's 11 A.M.," Elana spoke directly into my ear. I groaned in response, tossing the covers over my face and shifting onto my side. She bounced on the bed, clawing softly at the blanket covering my back. The smell of Marcus was fading.
"Wake up, you have to visit your boyfriend," Elana pleaded, as if this was one bit important to her.
"Okay, okay," I spoke in a raspy morning tone,
"I like him and everything, but five more minutes." I pleaded right back to Elana.
"Alright, not my fault if he dies then," I heard Elana's sweater rustle as she probably crossed her arms, "What?" I sat up almost immediately, squinting from the ever so bright sun. "Don't tell me he's dying," I rubbed my face, staring directly at Elana through my blurry eyes. Elana started to laugh, throwing herself back onto the bed as she clutched her stomach, "I was joking, but at least I got you up," She snickered, smacking my arm gently.
"Idiot," I spoke bluntly, stepping out of bed, making a slow beeline to the bathroom to wash up. "Be happy, Ari!" I heard Elana yell from the other room before she started to laugh again.
I was happy, but not as happy as she appeared to be. Some people, including myself, are not adjusted to mornings, and the situation yesterday didn't make it any better.
The only option of clothing I had was the t-shirt I wore yesterday. It smelled like musk and appeared to be slightly damp, but no stains were present so I slipped it on. It felt uncomfortably cold and soggy, and I came to the conclusion a change of clothes wasn't needed out of pure laziness. I continued brushing my teeth and made my way back out to Elana.
"Going to get your boyfriend?" Elana wiggled her eyebrows. "Yes. Want to come?" I stretched my upper body, numerous cracks in my bones, "It'll be a fun time," I let out a sigh, grabbing my keys as I adjusted my shirt once more. Elana nodded enthusiastically, jumping up from the bed, speaking quickly, "I'd love to! Yes! Just make sure you lock everything." Elana shoved her feet into her shoes and I nodded, "Yes Elana, I know."

The sun was hot and unforgiving today. If Mother Nature intended a bipolar forecast, she nailed it. The drive was short and silent except for some radio show about indie artists Elana turned on halfway to the hospital. I pondered the thought of visiting Maya, but I didn't want to just intrude. Upon our arrival, my nerves were starting to get to me. It was a mix of excitement and fear, as expected. Elana followed closely behind me, her shoes making noise against the pavement with each step. I held the door for her, walking into the colder-than-normal hospital. The receptionist looked out of her prime, a very old and shaky woman showing me Marcus's room location without any words on her part. She probably should have retired 30 years ago. Elana pressed the elevator button and we both stepped inside. The hospital smell overwhelmed me and I was starting to feel even more uncomfortable.
"I'm excited," Elana squealed as the elevator doors opened. I chuckled and tried to hide my nervous tone. She followed me even further down the hallway, until I hit his room. I hesitated, peeking back at Elana who was staring at a nurse preparing powdered lemonade. "Hey," I whispered. Elana's attention moved to me, "Hey, at least he's not in critical care, Ari. That would suck," Elana exclaimed. Her voice traveled down the vacant hallway. I smacked my hand against my forehead, using my other finger to shush her. "I'm sorry," She mumbled, "Are we going in?"
I shrugged and watched the nurse stroll up the hall with her cart, an emotionless face in bright blue scrubs. "Let's just go in," I whispered back. My feet started to move and I felt this feeling of uneasiness I had never experienced prior. I rounded the corner into Marcus' room, to which my surprise, he was fast asleep. I turned around and quietly shushed Elana once again, and she nodded. Bruises lined the right side of his face, a few stitches placed on the corner of his top lip. His right arm was in a cast. I sat down on the chair and gently grabbed his hand, a few purple bruises on the back of it. I wanted to move the covers to see if there were anymore bruises, but I knew better. Elana sat on his right side, frowning as she examined his cast. We sat there for a few minutes in silence, a nurse appearing at the door, knocking quietly before she entered.
"Is everything alright here?" The nurse smiled, emerging fully from the outside hallway.
Elana and I both nodded.
"I'm Nurse Maria, and I'm taking care of Marcus during the day," She smiled, explaining a few more things in a soothing tone.
"How long will he be at the hospital?" A small frown formed on my face, and I intently watched Maria, hoping for a good answer.
"About 3 more days," She smiled slightly, checking various machines hooked up to Marcus. His eyes opened slightly, blinking a few times. Elana observed her surroundings and payed specific attention to Maria, unaware of Marcus. His head turned towards me very slowly, and I started to smile like an idiot. "You came here, for me?" Marcus spoke in a quiet voice, yawning after his sentence. I let go of his hand and brushed some of the hair away from his eyes so I could see him better, "Of course I came here for you."
A smile formed on his face, and I leaned down to kiss his forehead. "Get some sleep, okay? I'll be here when you wake up again." Elana perked up, looking across the bed with a worried expression. "We're staying here for that long?" She spoke so quietly, eyebrows burrowed in towards her nose. I shrugged, then nodded, then shrugged again. I wanted to stay here as long as I could, but I also wanted to get out of here. Nothing made me as angry as what brunette did to Marcus, and it hurt me to see him in this condition.
I have never wanted revenge more.

---

Thanks for reading!

---