fifteen

"Have you told your parents yet? You have to. We've been together for like, 2 weeks. Call them right now." Marcus was putting mayo on a sandwich, flinging the knife around as he talked. Small globs of mayo flung across my kitchen.
"Hey, dork, stop getting my kitchen messy," I gave him a glare from the table where I was sorting out bills, "I just want your parents to be okay with this so they don't do what my parents did."
I let him finish his sentence, even though I was growing slightly annoyed for no real reason, "You had different circumstances than I have."
Marcus shrugged and slapped the mayo covered knife down onto my counter,  soon joining me at the table.
"They'll be fine. Just, clean up your mess," I was cranky, and my head hurt from my glasses.
"What a downer," Marcus shifted his chair away from me, eating his sandwhich.
I thought for a few seconds, crashing my head against the table.
"Marcus, why do you always have so much money," I blurted out. That cash would come in handy with all these bills I have.
He turned his head towards me at my words, crinkling his eyebrows, "Since you're my boyfriend now, I'll be honest with you about this."
I rolled my eyes over dramatically, "So you weren't honest before?" He shook his head and I noticed a sense of regret.
"Shush. I, well, I used to.. uh," Marcus stopped, looking around the room. His heart beat must have been thumping like the way rain does against a car roof.
"You what?" I closed my eyes, listening intently. I could almost feel the steady beat against my cheek. "I had a really good paying job and never spent any money," he quickly added.
"Oh. Really?" I asked, lifting my head slightly.
He nodded, "Being honest."
My cheek slid against the table as I lifted my head fully this time, making my words sound sluggish, "Okay, I'm always so perplexed by all the money you have in your wallet at basically all times."

"Yeah, well, the more you know," Marcus took his plate to the sink and started cleaning up his mess. Mid way, my phone slid across the table and ran into a small pile of envelopes, "Invite your parents over. Tonight. I'm starting dinner now," Marcus kissed his fingers and then spread them out, like those fat authentic italian chefs with orange mustaches. Not to offend any italian chefs by calling them fat. Nevermind.
I didn't want to call, but it was for the best. I haven't talked to them in a few weeks.
Hopefully they can see past the gender and realize how amazing Marcus really is. I continued to sort the mail and bills, looking up periodically to watch Marcus switch between counter, stove, and fridge.
The whole house was starting to smell fantastic.
"Hey, Uh, Ari."
I glanced up, and saw Marcus standing in front of the open fridge.
"What," I reliped, sounding like an old frog.
"Do ya have any peppers? Like, red peppers and green peppers and orange peppers and ye-"
"No, Marcus," I cut him off, rubbing my temples. He turned around and walked over to my chair, giving my shoulders a gentle massage. My eyes closed fairly quick.
"You should take a break,"'He spoke quietly, leaning down to kiss the top of my head. These bills were all starting to blur together.
"I can't," The words struggled to escape.
Just when I was starting to feel relaxed, the fridge beeped and alerted us that it was still open.
"Wow, asshole," Marcus whined and removed his hands from my shoulders. I groaned at the empty feeling against my shoulders as Marcus went back to shut the fridge, finishing the dinner he was preparing for my parents. If they come.
I remembered I forgot the most crucial step: calling my parents. I picked up the phone and dialed the ten digits.
It rang.
"Hello?"
"Hi dad, It's me, Ari."
"What do you need?"
"I need you and mom to come over for dinner tonight. Please."
"Time?" He sounded impatient.
I nervously glanced at Marcus, but he was so consumed in cooking he didn't even realize I was on the phone, "Er, I guess, 6:45."
"Son, why the hell can't you make it 6:30 or 7:00?" I crashed my head against my hand, rolling my eyes, "Okay, 7:00."
"See you then," He hung up immediately.
The phone dropped to the table, and I pushed it across the smooth surface so I could finish my sorting. I have fully accepted my old fashioned ways.
Marcus caught my attention now. He was mumbling to himself, shaking a pan over heat before shifting to the left, chopping what looked like broccoli.
"Are you alright?" I laughed quietly, casually covering my mouth when he turned to look at me.
"A-OK," Marcus gave me a thumbs up and proceeded to the other side of the kitchen, taking a sip of water from his cup.
It's good that he enjoys cooking, I guess. Good for me. Unless I eat so much of his good food I get fat and star on a new season of The 700 Pound Man.
I let Marcus cook while I showered and dressed. I started sorting my mail into their appropriate spaces on the end table near my door so I don't forget to throw them away or mail them afterwards.
"Annnnnnd, I'm done!" I heard Marcus sing from the kitchen.
"Tonight you will be enjoying delicious black bean vegetable and rice burgers with pickled onions, kale, and a tangy cream cheese spread, all on a lightly toasted gourmet bun."
I listened to his description, my stomach growling at the smell.
"I hope your parents enjoy vegetarian food because that is what I've got a craving for," I heard him wash his hands for the 600th time, grabbing each burger to place it onto the display plate with great detail.
"I don't think they care," I called from the couch where I desperately tried to stay awake.
"Aw, someone is sleepy. I can hear it in your voice. Very cute."
I let out a low and annoyed hum, using my arm to cover my face.
I had 10 minutes. "Marcus, get this place ready for my parents. 10 minutes."
I heard him gasp loudly, "10 minutes?! Jeez boy, thanks for the warning."
After that, there was a bunch of rustling and rattling. I drifted off for a few minutes, getting awoken by the doorbell.
"Ahh, Ari! Get it!" Marcus shook his hair which was clasped in his hands, patting it back down nervously, "Theres not a mirror anywhere!"
I stumbled to the door, trying my best to look awake, hoping my hair didn't turn to bedhead like Marcus thought he was experiencing
I pulled open the door, "Hi, mom."
My parents stared at me like two dear in headlights. I clumsily moved so they could walk in.
"Hello, Ari," My mom wiped her feet then proceeded inside, her eyes peering over every inch of visible apartment space.
I saw my dad shoot a glance at Marcus, who was emerging from the kitchen to introduce himself. 
"You've got to be kidding me," Anxiety filled my body as I heard my dad speak, "Black bean burgers are my favorite."
A sigh of relief rushed over me like Niagara Falls.
Marcus smiled and extended his hand towards my father, then my mother.
I looked over towards Marcus and mouthed ''now?", to which he nodded and half smiled.
"Hey, guys, I have some news," I sat down between my parents on my couch, while Marcus pulled up a kitchen chair.
"I've had this 'secret' for a while now. It was hard for me to decide when to tell you, but this is the perfect time. I hope you are understanding with.. us," I glanced over at Marcus for a moment. Both my parents looked unamused, unemotional.
"Me and Marcus are together. We are dating. He is my boyfriend."
My dad perked up from his seat, a disapproving frown forming on his lips," I am disappointed."
Gee dad, couldn't have guessed that one.
He stood up, walking towards my bathroom. My mom watched, equally as worried.
"Ari, I'm glad you told us. We just need time to digest this information," My mom stood up as well, placing a hand on my shoulder, "I can tell you and Marcus get along well. I suppose that's what matters."
She moved her hand away from my shoulder, walking towards the bathroom, probably to find my dad.
"Thank god that went okay," Marcus smiled wide and nudged my ribcage with his elbow.
"Ow, dork," I rubbed my side, looking back just in time to see my dad saunter out of the bathroom. He positioned himself in front of us, sighing out a few words quietly, "I'm happy for you, son."
I smiled, my posture peeking as I heard my dad say these words for the first time in my life. To me, this was the equivalent of winning the Super Bowl. "Thank you, dad," I proudly said.
Marcus was still smiling as well, watching our interactions closely.
"Let's eat!" Marcus put the chair back in the kitchen, displaying the food he worked all afternoon to prepare.
My parents shared a glance for a few moments, finally sitting down at the table. I could tell my dad wanted a black bean burger in the worst way.
Marcus cupped my face in his hands while I was still sitting. He leaned down to kiss my lips, "I'm so happy."
I smiled as I kissed him back, resting my hand over his, "Me too."
My parents had their backs facing us, but Marcus knew the exact moment to turn around and trick them into seeing nothing of what just happened.
"We're on our way, his back gets sore from this couch," He said before turning back to face me, a wild smile growing up his cheeks.
Marcus helped me stand up, and I did my best sore back impression.
"Do you need tylenol?" My mom fished around in her purse, but I shook my head no before she got anywhere. Did they really just buy that?
We both sat down at the table to join my parents. The ambiance was relaxed for the first time in a while.
No anxiety, no fear, no tense feelings.
I could get used to this.

---

Thanks for reading! Like/Comment if you'd like! I've decided to keep writing for however many more chapters.

---