thirteen

Ironiclly, Spongebob was playing on the TV while I stepped into the room. That one line "I'm ready", was playing. The painting was facing my body. I peered over the curtain as Kat guided me towards her daughters side of the room. A little girl with big green eyes stared up at me, mouth agape while sitting up in a hospital bed. She looked at me, then her mom, then me again before squealing. The room was decorated with pink balloons, teddy bears, and even a princess tiara. The walls had winnie the pooh printed around the perimeter. "Sweetie, we have your painting," Kat nodded to me, and I slowly turned the painting around, letting the little girl look. She squealed again, reaching her hands out. I handed her the painting.
"This looks amazing!" Maya exclaimed through missing teeth, a huge smile still on her face.
"I'm really glad you like it. It took a long time to paint," I said.
Maya giggled, tracing around the different objects painted onto the canvas. "I want it to go right there," She pointed to the empty wall next to the tv with her other hand.

"Okay, sweetie, we'll have to see if they can place it there."
Kat switched her view to me,
"Thank you, Ari. I wish you could stay but she has a procedure in a short while."
Maya groaned in the background, smacking her hands against the bed gently. "Do I have to?" Kat frowned and escorted me to the door, counting out the money,
"We really appreciate this. I'll keep in touch."
She handed the money to me, stretching out for a hug. I didn't want to accept the money but I knew she would force it upon me if I declined.
"I'll talk to you soon," she said again.
I nodded in response, starting to walk down the hallway while I stuffed the money in my back pocket. I wanted to find Marcus.

The elevator swiftly brought me back to the ground floor, where I found the entrance to the hospital. I also found, to my surprise, Marcus reading a magazine in the lobby.
"Hey," I waved as Marcus looked up from his fall of last year magazine.
"Hey honeybun,"!Marcus winked as he set the magazine back under the table,
"It's about time."
He stood up, walking over to me to kiss my cheek.
"Oh, well, I'm sorry I took so long," I gulped quietly, feeling his hand brush against mine before holding it.
"Let's go," I started walking towards the door, practically pulling him along with me like a stubborn dog.
"Hey, slow down," Marcus tried to walk and text at the same time, with one hand.
"I'm not too coordinated here," He said and slipped the phone in his back pocket. I nervously chuckled, which probably sounded real dumb.
"I'm the only one you need to text," I spoke fairly quiet. His eyes shot towards me, laughing quietly after a few seconds, "Oh, definitely. Ari is all I need."

I unlocked the car, and let go of his hand to open the door. I felt a finger tap my shoulder,
"Hey, sorry for scaring you with all this hospital talk. It was all in character. I didn't mean any of it. Actually.. not true. I meant the kiss."
I sat my arm on the hood of my car, my other hand letting go of the handle. My eyes couldn't move from staring into the window until Marcus turned me around, my back pressing against the car, "I did mean it,"
He repeated again, leaning in closer with each word.
"You did?"
He smiled after I spoke, and softly kissed me again. I just stood there, stunned.
"I did mean it. You're my best friend despite the short time I've known you,"
He let go, walking around to the passenger side of my car.
I unlocked the doors, and we both sat down quietly. I started the car then crashed my head into my hands, mumbling through my palms.

"Do best friends kiss?"
Marcus laughed, pulling down the compact mirror, fixing his hair.
"I guess, sometimes, but I like you as more than my best friend."
I started to pull out of the parking lot, flicking the turn signal on, sighing loudly.
"You're getting married in a few days. Have everything planned out? Excited?"
I looked over at Marcus and he sighed, resting his arm below the window.
"Not excited."
He ran his fingers through his hair, shaking his head as it dropped.

---

Thanks for reading! I will probably write one more chapter, and maybe a shorter ending chapter. Things are getting pretty busy at home and I don't have as much time to write.

---