Chapter One

Halfrid's POV

I went behind the cabin to cut some wood chunks for the fire.

I wasn't a stranger to the swing of the axe. Having a few days to relax felt great. I felt freed from my mind. But then I experienced something strange.

The wind started to pick up and it whispered melodies into my ears. I would of overlooked this, if it wasn't for the eerie feeling running down my spine. There was a presence nearby, I wasnt alone. I wiped my head around with my axe held firmly in my hands.

I was greeted with the long dead Seer. He appeared to be in good shape, he wasn't a broken man as before. He wore a dark look from under his tattered cloak.

I dropped the axe, unable to believe my eyes. "Seer?" I questioned. I blinked at him, wondering if I was seeing things, but he didn't disappear.

"You have altered your destiny, your stars are no longer aligned. You have two paths open to you. What you choose will impact all." He let an evil laugh escape his mouth.

Before I knew it, I blinked and drew in a deep breath to see myself facing a block of wood with my axe loosely held in my grip. I looked around me to see if I could find the seer or an explanation for my vision.

I dropped the axe and quickly picked up a few chunks of wood and ran for the cabin door.

My mother could spot the uneasiness on my face. "What's wrong?" She questioned urgently, drawing all attention onto me.

I sat the pieces of wood into the small lump with the others. I looked up to see everyone looking at me in suspense.

"I just had a-a vision, I-I think." I stuttered nervously.

"A vision?" My father repeated.

"I-I saw the seer and he told me I altered my destiny and that I have two possible paths I can go down. There was not another word said before he vanished." I explained. "Am I going mad?"

"I don't know." My mother admitted. "Perhaps the gods are trying to tell you something, or this is just apart of the stress you are going through."

"We shouldn't take messages from the gods lightly." My brother's wife, Gna injected quietly.

I looked over at my little girl, Thora. She was starting to teeth, to deal with it she had been chewing on anything she could get her hands on. She started at me as she chew on her small hand.

I couldn't make a decision that would ruin Thora's life.

Hvitserk's POV

I entered the dining hall to see Bjorn throwing a party. He seemed genuinely happy.

"Ah brother!" He shouted wholeheartedly. "Come to join the party?"

"Of course!" I replied over the loud music.

Bjorn gestured for me to approach his throne. I do so and I could see how blood shot his eyes were.

"Are you planning to grab your true love?" He mocked.

"Yes." I replied flatly.

"What makes you certain she'd want to be with you? You may have shared a kiss, but that means nothing."

His wife looked equally as intrigued for my reply.

I smirked slyly. "How can she not want me? I am better looking." I shrugged- half joking.

"If you say so." He replied, not convinced. He seemed like he no longer wanted to chat.

I looked around the hall, it seemed more lively without Ivar. I know my destiny is to kill him and in the process marry Halfrid and raise Thora as my own.

My eyes landed on a pretty slave, she noticed my glances and gave me a smile. I would have gone over to speak to her, if it wasn't for the sight of Berit, the slave who was most loyal to Halfrid when she was queen.

I made my way towards her. She seemed surprised to even see me acknowledge her.

"Prince Hvitserk." She bowed politely.

"I want you to know I sent Halfrid to leave Kattegat before the battle. I plan on leaving first thing tomorrow to retrieve her and her family." I explained.

She smiled happily. "Good. She has worried about you. It will bring her joy to see you again."

I nodded my head and carried on with my night. I was approached by a drunk Lagertha. She gave me a soft smile.

"You don't seem so joyful to see us win." She stated.

"I am, I just can't wait to retrieve Halfrid." I stated with a smirk.

"Do you really think Ivar will take kindly to your ambitions? Do you think you can trust her?"

"Ivar will be dead soon enough, as for Halfrid, you don't know her like I do. Of course I trust her, I trust her with my life." I replied bitterly.

"She betrayed me and her own mother."

"I betrayed you as well, but here I am. Ivar has ruined our lives, she won't want to side with him anymore."

"I hope you're right." She said before walking away.

I was angry that she'd pretend to know Halfrid, I have been with her through these tough months, I know where her head remains right now.

I went to my hut without anyone to warm my bed. I was too focused on bring Halfrid back to Kattegat.

I couldn't help but imagine her and I together. I went to bed with a smile that night.