Chapter 8: Meeting Yana

Ice and Yana immediately dropped to the floor after the robots who held them up were decapitated. You quickly helped untie the Russian girl before you heard the door to an elevator on the other side of the room ding open and heard Barry rush in. "He's getting away!" you shout, trying to rush to the elevator before it closes completely. Barry grinned at you through the closing doors, blood seeping through his fingers that he held over his head-butted nose. "At least I got half of what I wanted, tonight." he sneered at you; you looked and saw that he had Roomba in his free arm, the tiny robot struggling to break free and return to you and Ice.

The anger in Ice's eyes at the sight of Barry holding the tiny vacuum was similar to that of a father plotting to murder his son's kidnapper. He grabbed the sharp axe that you were wielding and threw it through the small opening between the elevator doors, directly at Barry's face. The young criminal's eyes widened in gear before he ducked, the top of his dark brown hair getting sliced off in the process before the elevator doors closed for good.

"We have to catch him so he doesn't leave before the police get here!" you stated, seeing that the elevator was going down to the first floor. You looked out of the large window behind you into the sprawling courtyard below and saw that a getaway can with Barry's logo was parked below, a chauffeur sat in the van waiting for Barry to exit the building. "Ehhh, he usually gets away." Yana said matter-of-factly "We'll just have to wait until next time to get the little vacuum cleaner back- Mishka's in no shape to keep fighting this time with his broken arm, anyways." she shrugged.

You raised an eyebrow at the two of them before asking "Exactly how many times have you two BEEN in this situation?" you asked, not exactly sure if you really wanted to know the answer. "Well, with this Barry Charles guy, only two or three times, but I've been saving this Bear's butt in similar situations in Beirut, Dubai, Macau, Moscow, Belgrade..." she started counting off multiple places where the two had gotten themselves into scrapes while Ice interrupted her here and there with "Ice Bear saved Yana in Belgrade. " or "Ice Bear didn't need Yana's help in Havana." Your stomach sank as you realized how much history these two had between themselves, and just how cool, worldly, and hot Yana was in comparison to you. She was clearly Ice Bear's girlfriend you thought as you looked at the tall, exotic purple haired beauty. For some reason that you couldn't explain, the news that Ice wasn't single felt like a sledgehammer had hit you in the chest - you decided to get the conversation back on track.

"So you've both had this situation happen multiple times before, and neither of you...Ever called the police?" you asked. The pair stopped bickering with each other and nervously blushed, scratching the back of their heads. "Ice Bear can't murder Barry with police interference." Ice explained. "It just never occurred to me to call the politsiya... I guess they could have been a big help, huh?" Yana admitted in an embarrassed tone. "They still can help us, as long as we catch Barry before he gets away." you say, smiling gently at the tall girl.

Yana loomed anxiously at the elevator numbers, seeing that Barry was already down to the third floor. "But how?" she asked; " It will take forever to take the stairs all the way down there!" You looked out of the window at a tree that the getaway can was parked under in the courtyard and got an idea. "We won't be taking the stairs." you assured her, causing Ice Bear and Yana to look at each other in confusion. With no time to explain, you grabbed the rope in the corner that was leftover from when Yana was tied in the chair. Looking around, you picked up the small axe that Roomba had dropped while being stolen and used one end of the rope to tie to the axe. That would be your grappling hook.

Next, you tied the other end of the long rope to one of the pillars nearest the large window, Yana and Ice bear watching you in confusion, waiting for an order. Without warning, you picked up the chair that Yana had been tied to and began smashing the large window open until there was a hole the size of a doorway. Turning to the polar bear who stood beside you, you handed him the axe-end of the rope. "Ok, Ice, I think it's safe to say that you're probably the strongest person here. We're gonna use this as a makeshift grappling hook, and I need you to use your good arm to throw this as hard as you can and get it to wrap around that tree branch above the roof of that van." you instructed him, pointing to the aforementioned branch. Ice nodded and with his good arm, threw the axe as hard as he could, nailing the throw his first try.