Chapter 11: Battle of The Exes (Part I)

As soon as the words of invitation left Grizz's mouth, your eyes darted to Ice , only to find him staring back at you with saucer-like eyes. "Holy shit." you hear a voice say out loud before realizing that the swear had come from your own mouth. You notice everyone turn their heads in your direction and you smile apologetically. "Sorry for the swear word, it's just, ummm... Ice and I weren't expecting a party, so... We didn't make any food?" You explain, the last part of your statement coming out as more of a question as you yanked Ice Bear into a separate room to talk.

   As soon as the two of you were out of hearing range from everyone else, you spun around to face Ice, a slightly accusing look on your face. "Dude... Exactly HOW many people here even KNOW about Yana?!" you whisper-yell through clenched teeth. You were worried that Ice had originally introduced her to everyone BUT you, making you the outlier of the group. "Ice Bear doesn't know. Grizz is friends with everybody " Ice Bear answered, a look of restrained panic on his face.

   You realized that Ice was just as nervous as you were of Yana coming to the cave. Your features softened in realization of the problem; Yana was a part of Ice Bear's other life- the one that didn't involve his brothers, endearing quirks, and calm, passive personality. As far as Ice was concerned, nary the two worlds should have ever met, but now three things were slowly tethering them together. First was Roomba, then you, and now, sweet, friendly, oblivious Grizz.

   "Grizz and Pan-Pan don't know about your spy life, do they?" you asked with a soft voice, already knowing the answer. Ice sighed quietly and shook his head. "Alright, then, there's nothing to be done but throw this party and make sure Yana doesn't spill the beans on you." you say determinedly, your hand resting on Ice's shoulder reaffirmingly. Deep down you hoped that Soren wouldn't tell anyone about your past, either.

  Ice nodded with a  new, determined look in his eyes as and it felt like the two of you were a team again. Yana would be at the cave in about an hour and you and Ice had to figure out a menu, make a grocery list, buy said groceries, and prepare them for everyone. You and Ice quickly agreed on teppanyaki foods and you quickly scribbled out a grocery list for the meal as Ice Bear nodded in approval.

  By the time the two of you got back from the grocery store, Yana was already at the cave, talking with Petra and Soren. You could feel Ice growing anxious beside you as the two of you tried to sneak back into the kitchen without talking to anyone. You notice how nonchalant and flirtsy Soren and Yana are being with each other and accidentally make eye contact with the purple haired Russian girl in mid-eye roll. 'Shoot.' you think to yourself as she makes her way over to you with a smile on her face.

"Heeeyyyy, Y/N! I did not think that you would be here!" she exclaims in her thick Russian accent, delighted at your presence. You feel a twinge of guilt that you didn't want to be her friend at the moment because of jealousy over Ice. "Hiii, Yana!" you reply nervously before chuckling. "Yup, I live here with the bears! I didn't know you knew Grizz." you inform her cocking your head to the side.

Ice stood by the sink, shakily washing a Napa cabbage and various mushrooms with one hand. "Ah, the brown bear? Da, I try to keep...civilian... friends here and there." Yana states nonchalantly. She leans in closer to you with crossed arms and whispers "Don't worry about Mishka. I would not divulge his other identity here. You don't have to be so tense!" She jokes in a voice barely above a whisper, slapping you on the back. Her words do in fact help ease the tension in the air and you let your shoulders droop comfortably before  Tana's face goes serious and she leans in again. "Something is... Off about that white haired boy, no?"

  Ice's ears prick up when she says that and he turns around with a facial expression that says "See?!? I KNEW I wasn't the only one that didn't trust him!" Instinctively, you peek out of the kitchen doorway to the rest of the party and see Soren, being his seemingly normal, extroverted self. Ice Bear is standing behind you glaring before Grizz rushes over to the two of you and pulls you out of the kitchen. "Forget the food right now, guys! We're about to play Beer Pong Truth or Dare with Soren!" the brown bear gushes, yanking you and Ice out of the kitchen and into the main room, Yana following closely behind.

  Your stomach sinks as Soren makes eye contact with you and smiles widely. There is no warmth in his eyes this time, though, and you know that it was him who suggested the game. He was the best at games like this, and was even better at making people embarrass themselves all while looking completely innocent. Did Soren decide to suggest this game on purpose; to punish you for way back then?

  "Alright, everybody, let's make this interesting and break into teams!" Soren suggested in the charismatic way of his that most people couldn't refuse. You quietly stared down at the floor while everyone agreed, and after a couple of coin tosses, there were two teams. Team Soren, and Team Ice. Because of course.