Chapter 4 | His Office

Iman's POV

"Zane, what are you doing here?" I asked him after coming back to my senses.

He looked a little bothered but calm. I feel like he always looked like that. Like something is on his mind.

"What do you mean why am I here? I'm supposed to be." He retorted.

"Well, maybe not in the fitting room!" I said, inching closer to him.

Just then, mama came through the curtains as well and held Zane's arm.

"Come child. She's not comfortable with others seeing her body so she gets a little overworked. The girls can handle this."

I prayed for mama and thanked her for taking him out. If I wasn't able to tolerate all these assistants with my dress, he was only making it worse for me by just barging in.

Once the whole situation settled, I finally put on the dress and they helped with the zipper and the bottom of the dress. They even put on the veil for me, plus, I already had a white hijab on so I didn't have to change that at all.

"We'll be opening the curtain now." The two assistants told me as they walked over to the front.

After I nodded, they slowly turned both sides to the opposite direction and kept walking, revealing me and the very heavy dress I was wearing. I sighed and suddenly felt very embarrassed after both my mother and Zane saw me standing on a small podium, wearing the most elegant dress I've ever worn in my life. It'll probably be the last as well...

But, I brushed away all my thoughts and finally mustered up the courage to ask them, "Well, what do you guys think?"

My mother cleared her throat and said, "Mashallah. It looks stunning. Don't you think Zane?"

She turned to him but I was looking at him this whole time. Both our eyes were fixated on each other. I don't know why but I was really curious as to what he thought. Normally, I don't ever care about what a man thinks I am wearing, but somehow, I wanted his acceptance.

"I agree with you." He told mama and smiled at her.

He didn't look bad smiling. In fact, he should do it more often. Oh god, what am I saying?

"We'll be right back after trying on the second one." I told them, embarrassed of myself and my thoughts.

Cara smiled and told both assistants to close the curtain and we continued with the fitting.

~~~

"It was very hard to choose her dress, wasn't it Zane." Mama still had her hands around his elbow and I was on my phone, responding to a message from Harper.

"Yeah, but I don't mind." I heard him say.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he didn't. He probably wanted to walk out the moment he walked in.

"Let me drive you home." Zane offered.

I looked up from my phone to see my mom so touched by his offer. She never gets that glee when I offer her something like that, despite being her daughter.

"I guess I'll be going in my car." I said, making my way over there.

"Who said you're going separately?" Zane suddenly changed his tone with me and it sounded just as cold as it usually did. At least, towards me.

"I can't just leave the car here." I snapped back and instantly regretted it because he had already found a solution.

"I can call one of my people to come get it for you."